electronic boost controller

Flori

Wrench Pro
Car
Citroen C3 1.1
hi,
as i already mentioned in the saying hello thread, i got a 2003 smart 42.
the 50bhp version (o.7litre engine, 3 cylinders, 2 valves per cylinder, turbo) has a mechanical boost controller, the only difference to the 61bhp version is a electronical boost controller. both cars are suposed to do 0.4 bar.
and the engine will run on safe-mode when you somehow run it with to much boost.
so my question is, if i just can fit any electronical boost controller, or if i have to get the original OEM part.
so any guesses here?

I think most boost controllers will work, you just need the correct wiring. I would be suprised if you couldn't buy a kit for your car. As you say you just need to be careful when pushing the upper limits. A remap would prevent the limp home mode cutting in and would in my opinion give more power per money spent.

youd have to watch out. most cars have an inbuilt max boost to prevent damage any more and the car will go into a limp mode. i know mines is set to .8 bar max boost ive seen on the diagnosic is 0.78 if i fit a boost controller
a) i need to fit it in line with the electronic controller, otherwise the ecu goes to limp mode saying the N95 is missing/faulty
b) be if i go over .8 bar itll go to limp mode

. like waynne says a remap would lift this up to a better limit as well as giving you the power more safely. the car may run lean if you upped the boost and left the fuel at the same

hi,
so what i know for now is:
1.: boost limit of ecu: 0,4bar
2.: the 61bhp version just uses another (electronic) boost control unit
3.: i heard this one should be around 10pounds

so i think, its just electronic boost measuring, not a real control unit.
you can't setup it in any way.
remap would be around 300€ to 66bhp, but there are remaps for the 61 bhp version (as in the convertible, the basic smart roadster and the 42 passion city coupe) for also 300€ to about 77 - 80 bhp. thats why i ask.
and even with just the boost thingy, it would be 20% more power and almost 20% more torque (95NM instead of 80).
+ i could fit fuel pressure valve (3 bar instead of 2.8) and "larger" injectors. f.e. the brabus smart has the same as in the MB E 320. so i dont worry so much about the fueling, and as i said, the both engines i was talking about are the same, really just the boost controllers are diffent, since i read the boost controller article here, i can really understand why that makes such a difference.
and thanks for the replies :)

Last edited:
the controller will allow the wastegate to open by adjusting the boost controller can be adjusted to make it open later so allow a larger amount of boost. but if the ECU see this it will cut the power

do you know what the boost is set at just now ?

its set to 0.4bar, but as it's said in the boost controllers article here,
the its going up and down and doesnt stay at one level.
i have had a look, boost controllers are about 200-300 euros and more,
so id wouldnt be worth it.
the electronic OEM control unit is much cheaper and works. i think if i get something at all, ill take this one and when i need more power lateron, ill get a remap.
i really use the car for 80% city driving, i dont need that much power. but sometimes it would be nice to have a bit more for overtaking.
moding a smart isnt really succesful.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back