Electrically or Pneumatically -assisted Gearshift System

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Interesting to see these kits being made available. I was involved in developing one back in the early 90s, was called 'Powershift' and was aimed at superbikes and BTCC before they banned it as it also encompassed TC as well back then.

I was going to employ a pneumatic version on my track car as that was going to be a motorcycle engined single seater using a sequentional gearbox. Nothing unusual you say, but this was back in around 1991/92 IIRC. My then club banned it as soon as I mentioned it!

I would go for the electronic version as it is quicker with regards m/s and you will also have to bear in mind the added weight of the air supply and cylinders etc. I'm sure the electronic version would be lighter in comparison. I'm no expert as this current stuff is way above what I was working on!

Went to see Graham at Flatshifter today. 3 hours later I decided that this is the system for me.

http://www.flatshifter.com/

Reasons:

Known Graham for some time.
Full throttle clutchless up changes.
Clutchless down changes.
Flappy paddles.
Electric and lighter than pneumatic systems.
Fitted to Global Lights single seaters built by Hatherway Racing. Spoke to Graham Hatherway on way home and he comfirmed the ease of use, performance and reliability.
Price is very good when compared to other systems. Seems there is a lot of designer label pricing going on in this market.
Local if I have problems.

Just need the money now :)

Impressive bit of kit. I guess it'll be a few pennies to aquire. I'm curious as to the gearbox you'll be operating this with.

You'd need a squencial gearbox for this, I just seen on the flatshift website that they are going to make a system for a H pattern box as well so you can do clutchless down shifts.
Something like that would be useful to me but I dare say it wouldn't work on my car.

Yes, it will be fitted to an Elite Racing Transmissions' IL300-6S sequential box.

The system for the H-pattern box is for clutchless downshifting. You will still have to operate the gear lever manually. I guess it will consist of a load sensor and throttle blipper.

Give Graham a call, he is very helpful. Why don't you think it would work on your car?

Last edited by a moderator:
hes getting a seq box if i remember.

thats alot cheaper even for the dearest one than i thought it would have been

Correct :)

Yes, it is more of a hobby than a business to him so he isn't after mega profits like the other suppliers seem to be.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back