Electrical/Wiring Fault?

Rudders666

Torque Master
Car
Ford Focus ST300+
Morning all,

This morning started out somewhat annoyingly with the car not starting!
I had all my bulbs upgraded a couple of months ago. Within the last few weeks the drivers side sidelight LED bulb has been flickering. I had the installer come back and re-install a new bulb. All was well for about a week and then this morning the car refused to start completely. The ignition came on fine but every time i hit the clutch and start pedal to fire her up there was just a click and nothing happened. Popped the bonnet and opened the drivers side door and lo and behold she fired up.

Now, last time I was at Ford for something else I also asked them to look into a wiring loom common fault that caused the car to stumble when in low gear at traffic lights etc. They said they'd fixed this fault and that was a couple of months ago now but i'm wondering if that's the root cause. It's either that or the car is rejecting the LED bulbs but the company who fit them have fit them to numerous similar models to mine with no issues.

Anyone with an idea? It's going back to Ford on Wednesday regardless but thought I'd ask anyway

When you say you opened the bonnet and it started, it makes me think of the bonnet alarm switch. Which is part of the bonnet catch / release mechanism. If the switch was open the start circuit would be disabled. You’re supposed to drop the bonnet down to close it, not press it down otherwise the switch may not be set properly.

Ah well that certainly could explain the none start as I did push the bonnet closed after filling my water up though i feel like i've driven it since. It's the sidelight LED's that are driving me mad as well at the moment.

I can only imagine that Ford will say to remove them

I have seen the bonnets attacking the windscreen by not being properly locked. Such alarms are helpful and for safety purposes everything in it would work this way.
I hope its nothing with the wiring.

Good old Ford "couldn't fault it". Well, we can't do much without it faulting on us. I think i've got to drop it back in on Friday if I remember rightly and they'll give me a better courtesy car and keep mine over the weekend to keep testing it. Sounds like a chore to me but what else can I do?

Good luck with it buddy, drives me mad sometimes when you get these elusive faults that refuse to show themselves to the mechanic :mad:

It's like once every 3 weeks so how they think it'll show up I just don't know. Why they can't find it though I don't know because the AA guy (who incidentally used to work for Ford!) managed to find it in 10 minutes! Granted it was down at the time he found it but I relayed his report and where to look etc so how they can't identify any issues by looking in the exact place the fault is I simply do not know. I kicked off anyway hence the re-booking for a week later and a better courtesy car than their standard bloody fiestas! I won't even be leaving it with them this time though if they produce a fiesta again. lol