electrical issue mk2 mondeo

minx23

Tuner
Car
mondeo zetec s tdci
Hi again folks, ive had an auto electrian look at my car and he says it need a new relay for electric windows and central locking as he says thats whats causing my issues. Rang ford up and its 247 plus vat apparently.
Now theres a scrap yard near me that you have to take your own parts off and he said if I know which part it is and what it looks like I can go and take it off. Now can anyone tell me what the main relay for electric windows and central locking looks like and also where I would find it on the car!
Can but try hey!!
Thanks in advance :)

If no one comes back to you with the info that you want, then you could try just going to the Ford dealer and asking them to see the part and take a photo of it with your camera phone. If they don't happen to have it in stock, then they can show you it on their VDU screen so you can still take a photo of it. Just remember to ask them where it is exactly to make finding it easier at the breakers yard ;)

If I were you fella I'd treat myself to a Haynes workshop manual. They're not massively expensive and they're really handy for this kind of question.

Not a fella, :) and ive looked at haynes manual, but cant see it in there! Ive looked on internet and read that its in the glove box part where relays and fuses are but just dont know what it is im looking for, bit hard to tell from an haynes manual, just wondering if its like one of them square plug like blocks or something else.
Thanks T9, will ford let me take a pic? It would be useful if I knew whatvi was looking for exactly :) as you know ill try anything myself if I can do it (woman or not haha)

LOL, sorry!

It'll be one of the square black boxes in the fusebox there aye.

If you have the original Ford handbook it might tell you in there. Or possibly on the fusebox cover itself?

It's also likely if you can nail down which one it is that it'll be the same one in Kas, Focuses, Mondeos, Galaxys.

In fact it might be listed in the Haynes for my Focus, I'll have a look tonight.

Thanks yugguy, the interior light flashes if the door is open and you try putting window down, every time you press elec window button the light will go off and come back on when you take your finger off, as im doing it I can hear a clicking noise under the glove box as I do it! And central locking wise, sometimes when I get in the car if the central locking hasnt undone all the doors I can hear a ticking from under the steering wheel part, but after about 10 mins its like the car does a full circuit and sorts itself out and the ticking stops! The auto electrician says if I change the relays it will sort it all out! Im not sure if its one relay for electric windows and central locking or two separate ones!
But if I can donit myself and its easy enough ill do it! Ive stripped cars of door lock systems, head lights, changed rear manual window mechanism, brakes and discs air bag light flashing fault and a load of other things, and ive always come here if ive got stuck with anything, rather than get ripped off at a garage or now even a auto electrician ;) so any help is great :)

Ford are taking the mick royally wanting so much money for a few quid relay.

Even the main central locking control unit only costs 20 or 30 quid on ebay.

The scrappy should only charge you a few quid for a relay. You could try taking each of the relays out in turn, doing the window thing that makes the light go off until it doesnt and then you've found the one you need. Then see if it is the same for the central locking ticking and if it is the same relay.

Electrics are a pain in the arse though - I don't mind doing mechanical stuff but I hate electrics.

Thanks T9, will ford let me take a pic? It would be useful if I knew whatvi was looking for exactly :) as you know ill try anything myself if I can do it (woman or not haha)

Off course Ford will let you take a picture. Just tell them that you are going to do it yourself but you want to identify the right relay first. Just smile at the chap nicely behind the counter and be polite, he will fall over trying to help a damsel in distress ;)