electric turbocharger

claymore

The Torque Meister
Car
T-10k,
Right, I'm not talking about those silly ebay things,
Just wondering in my head and want to bounce a few ideas around.
People who know me know I don't like spending money, so no silly suggestions.
Right then, here goes.
If i ditch the nitrous, could I achieve the same thing (extra boost) by mounting a car starter motor onto the cold side of a turbo, maby run it at 24 volts. It would work like the nitrous system i.e arming switch and WOT or boost activated switch. I wouldn't use the alternator to charge the battery's, just have them in the boot and re-charge them when necessary (would be no worse than having to re-fill the nitrous bottle)
Thoughts?

Nope. Sadly it won't work.

Starter motors are series wound DC types and their peak torque is at 0 revs. Theoretically they will continue to accelerate indefinitely but in practice they don't. But they certainly won't reach anywhere near the 100,000rpm plus that the turbochargers compressor requires. It's unlikely they'll get much over 300-400rpm.

Turbochargers are superchargers by definition. The true term is turbo-superchargers and this denotes the fact that it's driven by exhaust gases.

Mechanical superchargers are usually belt driven and almost universally at a fixed speed ratio in relation to crank speed (ie. pulley each end).

If the supercharger pulley is 1/2 the diameter (which is not untypical) of the crank pulley then the 'charger' is running at twice crank speed. Even here there's a big disparity. At idle (say 750 rpm) the supercharger is running at 1500rpm. Still far beyond the spin speed of a start motor which will have self destructed long before.

BUT - there's something to consider here. Given the amount of torque a starter can generate you could gear it UP to drive a traditional supercharger. But the 'charger and motor still need to find house room under the bonnet for both. You might as well give this space over to a belt driven charger.

I doubt that you'll get anywhere near the gains that nitrous can provide, however.

now were on the same page, it's all about packaging, I just can't squeeze a SC down where the power steering pump is, but there's plenty of room behind the bumper. I could change my 15t turbo for a 19t but thats too easy. but you'v still got the dreaded lag

now were on the same page, it's all about packaging, I just can't squeeze a SC down where the power steering pump is, but there's plenty of room behind the bumper. I could change my 15t turbo for a 19t but thats too easy. but you'v still got the dreaded lag

This is the problem. Superchargers (turbo or mechanically driven) are always something of a compromise.

When you say lag, do you mean lag as in nothing at low rpm or do you mean latency (ie. it will get going but waiting for it to spin up)?

A variable geometry turbo (assuming you don't have one already) will get around quite a lot of such issues but turbos are costly and you did say metaphorically that you don't want to spend thousands on this project.

Yea, I'm a tight git, I like to work in 10's of pounds, maybe 100's of pounds, but definitely not 1000's of pounds...lol
the 15t spools up quite quickly, but can't maintain a high boost level before it just pumps hot air, the 19t can maintain high boost, but is a bit slow on the spool up.

Last edited:
there is a problem of with the 15/19t hybrid on the t5, there have been quite a few documented melted engines, due to the mappers not getting it right, I dont think I want to go down that road, the only company that can do it properly are MTE and there engineere is only in the uk a few times a year.

Last edited:
Celtice Tuning have a good record for not blowing up engines. A quick phone chat might well be worthwhile.

But if outrageous performance is the goal then NO2 will still be necessary.

Is the 282bhp you quote with NO2?

282, is without n2o, around 335 with the gas, but I don't have local refillers anymore, and some pikey scrap men nicked my spare bottle, so i have to send one away and wait for it to come back filled.

standard turbo with rica 304 ecu reverse intercooler pipework noble m400 intercooler,
302mm brake upgrade, lowered 40mm, running at 16psi on standard unleaded, and 20psi with super unleaded, although it does hit fuel cut at 20psi sometimes.

I was a little lost on this part:

I do only mean to show curiosity. What does that mean? (I'll understand if you are forced to laugh at me)

I used to have two nitrous bottles, one full in the car and the other would be away getting refilled, I now only have one bottle, which means I have to be without nitrous for a week, so i can't feed my addiction. :bigsmile:

Pikey scrap men: Travellers (Pikey's, Gypsy's, Gypo's) who roam the UK and set up camps on public land, when they leave, they leave an almighty mess that the tax payer has to pay for to be cleared up.

They steal anything that isn't nailed down & if it is nailed down then they'll knick the nails too. What they pinch they then weigh it all in at the scrap yard for money.

Not to be mixed up with any romantic notion of Romany Gypsies. :amuse:

Last edited:
Pikey scrap men: Travellers (Pikey's, Gypsy's, Gypo's) who roam the UK and set up camps on public land, when they leave, they leave an almighty mess that the tax payer has to pay for to be cleared up.

They steal anything that isn't nailed down & if it is nailed down then they'll knick the nails too. What they pinch they then weigh it all in at the scrap yard for money.

Not to be mixed up with any romantic notion of Romany Gypsies. :amuse:

Very awesome. I did not expect quite as descriptive an explanation, but I appreciate it. Pikey scrap men, eh? Interesting..

On the "electric supercharger" topic. I have often thought of the same type of thing but with a rpm multiplying gearset like 30:1...

I think it's possible to do something like that, but the engineering it would take to do it safely and efficiently was enough to make me say forget it...what you guys think?

Let's soften up on people who choose not to have a permanent residence.

We have some good friends who elect and choose to live in what might be loosely termed as mobile homes.