EGR Valve modification

Puntopimp

Track Warrior
Car
1.8 TDCI Ford S-Max
Evening all!

Long time no speak, need some advice been told by someone I know well that it could be beneficial to the engine of the Vectra if I disable the EGR Valve on the car.

Has anyone done this or heard of this and could it benefit or bugger the engine???

the valve going wrong or clogging up is a known problem with this engine.
i would never follow 2nd or third hand advice because manufacturers include these for a reason.
You cant just leave it out as it gives readings to the ECU but you can use a blanking plate which is probably what has been said on the vectra forum.
Best bet is to remove clean and replace it because as said before it does give readings to the ECU so its best left in.

What I've read on forums aboute EGR deletes they mostly say do it. What I've read about them on industry sites they say don't do it, it makes no difference to your performance but can damage engine. As Sleeper says, it's there for a reason so just clean it and leave alone. You will need a remap to cancel the sensor if you decide to remove. I thought about it on my Golf and decided to leave in place

I did blank my egr off on the rover cause a month after cleaning it started to build up again.
People are selling the egr valve delete kit on eBay ranging from £25 to £130 but when I realised it only blanked off the eg input and a vacuum line. I just blocked both inputs off and 2+ years later I had no problems with carbon build up or dodgy idling!

I'd suggest cleaning the valve first then checking it a month or so later if the carbon is building up again then do the delete Bypass

I did blank my egr off on the rover cause a month after cleaning it started to build up again.
People are selling the egr valve delete kit on eBay ranging from £25 to £130 but when I realised it only blanked off the eg input and a vacuum line. I just blocked both inputs off and 2+ years later I had no problems with carbon build up or dodgy idling!

I'd suggest cleaning the valve first then checking it a month or so later if the carbon is building up again then do the delete Bypass
Well I had my EGR cleaned last summer because the car kept going into Limp mode but i've noticed recently it starting a bit splutterly only once in a very blue moon but once is enough. Starting to kick out a bit of white smoke as well on ignition and acceleration.

EGR only cuts in on light throttle and tickover anyway in most cars. Removing it just causes you to waste fuel.

Driving around at low RPM with the EGR open can coke up the engine, so it's best to use good quality fuel. A fuel additive from time to time, like BG244 - use our ebay link below to find it. and be sure to use the full range of the engine from time to time.

DPF's do clog up and it will release power to remove them but this in the UK at least is now an MOT failure. Don't confuse these with EGR valves.

If You are determined to do it you can blank it off with almost anything you don't need to buy a kit off eBay
Equally as you've obviously made your mind up there's not much point in asking what we think.