ecu remap on a mazda mx-5 (1996)

koolbum20

Wrench Pro
Car
01 accord v6
Is a ecu remap just a different chip or am i missing by a longshot iv heard people getting for the 50 bhp from a ecu remap so im curious o and if you get a ecu remap will you ahve to change any engine parts.

The ECU is basically the engine computer which handles fuelling timing and ignition etc... This is complex as it contains values based on RPM and Engine load with adjustments made for temperature and Exhaust gases hence why it is called a map.

A remap is a reprogram of the computer. Some cars computers cannot be remapped and need a piggy back ecu or replacement ECU such as the Apex Power FC II. Most cars can be remapped and you have the choice of an off the shelf map or a custom remap for the car. I hope this explains it - have a read of this article too http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/remapping-ecu.php

Is it possible to get some sort of ecu that has two options a racing option and a fuel economy option or maybe something in the middle because i thought i saw one of those that had two knobs on it and two mini bars that shows how much fuel economy it saves and how much horsepower/torque it can give you and you can adjust it with the little knobs on the side.

Pre 2001 petrols generally are mappable via the diagnostic port. You can use a piggy back ECU to change the control parameters. Alternatively the traditional 'chip' change is a good option. This where the new map is burned to an EPROM and it's then soldered into the circuit board in place of the original one. Alternatively it might be a DIL socket so therefore no soldering.

What you won't though is an extra 50bhp. The most you'll see is about 10bhp, and mostly at the top end of the rev range. The new control data will smooth the torque curve lower down so the car will probably feel faster even though the net increase isn't all that great.

The best mod for these IMHO is the Jackson Racing supercharger kit. Coupled with remap you are looking at a serious power hike.