ECU question

newguy808

Car
1995 Honda civic Ex
I was wondering, if I wanted to chip my ECU. I've seen a few on ebay already chipped, not that expensive. If I want a chipped ECU, can I just buy one and put it in? Or do I need to do anything special? I called around locally about how much it would cost to chip my ECU, prices are higher than if I were to just buy one already chipped.

When I say anything special I mean, anything that I CANNOT do at home, on my own.

Also, the ECU I am currently keeping my eyes on, they say it is "Direct plug and play" so just thought I would throw that in there for reference. Thanks.

I would not trust a pre-chipped ECU from eBay. That's asking for over-fueling issues (which is how a lot of eBay chips work)! If you want the ECU mapping, get it done properly.

The reason they are "suspect" is that usually a number of ecus are mapped for a specific spec to keep costs down
Unfortunately this spec probably wont be yours

The reason it costs more to have your one done on your car is that it is a one off specifically mapped to your car................

So it works and is guaranteed

Everything stated above makes complete sense to me. Which is why I would like to say I've made a mistake. The ecu is not already chipped. I emailed the seller, and they stated that after I purchase the chip, they will send me a "tunning form" which I fill out my vehicle mods so they can chip the ecu to fit my vehicle. Again sorry for the misstatement, but I would like some point of views as to how others feel about buying a ECU online.
The "shop" I am considering ordering the ECU from is "Rich-Tuned" Performance Motorsports.

Thank you once again.

I still wouldn't do it. After looking at your mod list (found here), what you really need is a custom live map done. This will incorporate a rolling road. A generic map won't do anything for you.