ECU legality in USA

Titas

Tuner
Car
2000 Toyota Corolla
hey, I've been checking out ECU's for my 2000 Toyota Corolla CE. On one website, i read that aftermarket ECU systems are street legal in all US states. I was wondering if this is true or not. And I would like to know what company makes a good and cheap ECU. If u can answer any of these questions, please answer. Thanks

I think by street legal they mean the car will still pass a smog test. Don't know about tennessee, but here in Western New York if the car is 1996 or newer it gets pluged into the DMV computer via the DLC. I'm not sure if aftermarket ECU's will pass, I've never seen one go through inspection.

I would say get a tune. An aftermarket ECU is not going to be tailor made to your car. Every car is different, every corolla is slightly different, even from the ones made the same day, at the same factory.

I would steer clear of an aftermarket ECU. Get a real dyno tune if you need something changed on your computer. If you don't need it, don't get it.If you're not adding boost or building your whole motor for higher compression/adding bigger injectors...etc. you won't need a tune yet.

I would like to know what company makes a good and cheap ECU.

No such thing. You get what you pay for.

I would say get a tune. An aftermarket ECU is not going to be tailor made to your car. Every car is different, every corolla is slightly different, even from the ones made the same day, at the same factory.

I would steer clear of an aftermarket ECU. Get a real dyno tune if you need something changed on your computer. If you don't need it, don't get it.If you're not adding boost or building your whole motor for higher compression/adding bigger injectors...etc. you won't need a tune yet.

x2. A custom map will be the most beneficial. However, it should be the last thing you do.