ECU Chips or Tuners do they work and whats the best one

dark

Car
chrysler sebringjxi
Hey I was thinking on doing a easy upgrade by putting on a piggy back chip or use a tuner. But don't know if they work or if the'll hurt my car. I want to get the most out of my short ram intake and exhuast. Plus I don't know if a tuner would work its got a spot for the chip to directly plug in and stay attached but will a tuner stop working as soon as its unpluged.

Help plz. Don't want to make a bad choice thnks. :p

Hello, dark!
Many chiptuners claim that most cheap piggyback chips are nothing but few resistors. Supposedly they cheat your ECU about amount of air or fuel and in that way ECU need to increase fuel/air ratio.
I know my explanation is not to scientific but maybe it can help you in searching for valid opinions. After all, this is torquecar forum - sure someone will answer you to the point. ;)

depends on where it plugs in and if it uploads a map.

most "plug in" ones are simply a resistor, a lot of hot glue and a box that plugs into the MAF or temp sensor to make the car fuel more.

the ones that plug into an obd2 port upload a map to the ECU although unless your going to be chopping and changing maps theres no point really to use this way.
best idea would just be to get a remap done by a reputable tuner, perfectly safe as a good map with still be within the torrerences of the engine and depending on the mapper can tweek it slightly for your intake and exhaust.

Oh. ok so i need to remap it. So i guess the chips don't really do anyhing then bummer. lol must be just a scam like electric turbos in the intake lol. thnks saved me about 100 dollars U.S. for no power gain. I'll call a motosports dyno shop to see what they can do for me.

if the chip plugs into the ECU itself as a full piggy back system. or is an actual chip soldered into the ECU itself then they work.

pretty much all cars post 2000 can be mapped, some ECUs however can still prove tricky and need to remove the ecu to do it

I am thankful for the advice i just put in a short ram intake with an K&N filter, also got a Magnaflow muffler thinking of getting a hi flow cat befor wielding it on. of course no cat back systems or headers made by anyone for this car. have to have it fabed. But on a positive note got my Halo projector headlights today and am installing them hope to put up some pics soon for everyone to see. Ill get the piggy back chip at worst ill be out 150 buck. and ill find out at the dyno if it did anything. I'll dyno it after exhaust and chip is installed

Last edited:
Hi , im new to this can some one tell me exactly ho a piggy back ECU works with the main EUC or with out the stock ECU ?? sry if im being lame :sad2:

Some of the piggy back ECUs work well but only do this if your car cannot be remapped. The cheap plug in devices MUST be disregarded formally and finally.

It works with the ECU Raven, an aftermarket ECU replaces the whole ECU from what I can make out. Readings are intercepted and processed by the piggyback but they often still use the standard ECU mappings as a baseline to work from.

Thanks for the reply :) soo the best thing is to change the whole ECU :) like what do I have to look for if i want to add an ECU to my 4G13 im trying to turbo charge it :D its my first project on vehicle moding :)