ECU chip, what's good, what not?

JPW

Car
Peugeot 406 Coupé
Hi all,

(Driving a 406 coupé with a 2,0L. Engine code EW10J4, if this matters...)
I'm close to changing my fuel maps and I was wondering what I should do. I only need to change the camshafts before I do the ECU. here's what I want:

I prefer this option, if possible:

- Maximum performance gain across full RPM range
- Switch to turn off and on the performance map. (Either trough WiFi or something or an actual button.)
- Piggyback, can't be bothered to get a stand-alone system and program the engine anew.

If such thing is not possible i wonder if it's possible to get a quality piggyback for my car so I can either have it tuned, or do it myself without breaking into the original ECU. I've heard some chips only contain a few components to alter the input from the sensors sent to the original ECU. I'm looking for a chip with software to completely alter the fuel map. Is this possible? I've had people tell me you cant just put in a new system or a piggyback, some companies claim they produce universal piggybacks that can work with any engine setups. How does this work? Thanks in advance.

Okay.

Somebody told me it might be a good option to only alter the upper RPM range.
My car has the redline at 7k, rev limiter at 6,5. Max power at 6 and max. torque around 4,2.
So is it an option to change the map from 3 - 3.5k and up? If I wanna go *Removed Word* on the car I'll probably be above 3k anyway. And when I use it to drive to work I'll just stay below 3. It's not the best option since I wont profit from the gain when I accidently drop under 3k, but I think it'll save me alot of costs from maintenance.

Ive read I should count on probably doubling upkeep costs if I full upgrade the ECU, and I do need the car to remain running for a couple of years.

P.S.
It's not possible to switch the remap off and on if I used the stock ECU I suppose?

Last edited by a moderator:
The cams will dictate the performance profile of the engine. But you will need to remap the ECu to make best use of them.

I have a dislike of piggy back units because they interfere with sense data rather than directly altering fuelling parameters, cam timing etc (assuming your car has variable cam timing).

A remap is a much 'cleaner' option.

I recall reading about two types of piggybacks, one will alter the input of the sensor data before entering the ECU, the other type will change the output of the ECU to the engine. Will that make any diffrence?
I do believe a remap will be a better option, if I can get a custom one done....

I will make it clear that I am only just learning this stuff so,
I'm not going to give any unwise and unlearned (wardelosse) sorry if i have it spelt wrong. I come from a dutch family and did live in NL for a number of years but the spelling would be rusty.
Anyway, Having a Peugot the Delco ECU chip doesnt apply but the principles do. If you want to learn and understand the ECU needs more look up this web site www.delcohacking.net I've only just found it and it is for GMH/ ACdelco ECU tuning. They have what I thought was a fantastic starters guide to ECU tuning. I mension it as they mension in 1 part about being able to have saved bins (binary codes) that can be loaded "on the fly". Interesting stuff. Even if it's just to help understand all the needs of the ECU better.
There's more to it than just changing the fuel delivery.