E46 engine rattle

Could well be the chain tensioner than mate at that mileage. They tend to get rattly every 100,000.

The part costs around £40 from BMW and takes 10 minutes to fit.

timing chain rattle is hard to discern inside the car. Theoretically the chains and tensioners should never need replacing.

A loose chain will buzz more than rattle.

Are you sure it's not just the coolant pump?

i would not know sorry.is there away i could check the noise does go after the engine reaches its running temp i have changed the oil/ ht leads/ air filter/ treated the engine with flush before i changed the oil and added hydraulic lifter cleaner its driving me mad with worry so much am thinking of selling it maybe.and looking for another one its sad really love the car drives well no problems and is a real joy to use

Do you have an oil pressure gauge? A tired oil pump might struggle to pump cold oil around causing a top end rattle until the oil is warm and easier to pump.

timing chain rattle is hard to discern inside the car. Theoretically the chains and tensioners should never need replacing.

A loose chain will buzz more than rattle.

My mate's E36 sounded like that when his tensioner needed replacing. M42 engine though. I think this one is an N43.