E46 330i

x20

Car
BMW 330i E46
I have a BMW E46 330i with a 5 speed box. I have noticed lately it's becoming more and more difficult to select gears even when the gearbox is on operating temperature. The gearbox is so stiff, it's almost imposible to gear down, up changes there is like a cluck sound when engaging the gears. Anybody who might have had the same problem and how do you get around it??

Bought the car last year, it had 152 000km on the clock, i wouldnt know if it was ever changed. My understanding is BMW is using the so called life time oil in the diff and gearbox, may be the previous owner never saw the need to change the oil.

Greetings and Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!
Good to have you along with us :)

There's no such thing as lifetime oil bud, change it as soon as you can. All fluids should be periodically renewed, I never understand why manufacturers don't have it in the schedule.

Gearbox oil shouldn't need changing in the case of BMW with filled for life oil. If the changes are difficult then I imagine there's a leak and it's low on oil.

So it's inspection time I think - cheaper than a new 'box

Last edited:
Gearbox oil shouldn't need changing in the case of BMW with filled for life oil. If the changes are difficult then I imagine there's a leak and it's low on oil.

So it's inspection time I think - cheaper than a new 'box

im sorry mate i really cant go with this life time oil thing. fresh oil is good oil. how can oil after 150000 miles be as good as clean. car manufactures take the p. i personally dont think an oil change will rectify this problem. but start at the basics eg oil