E36 best diff for upgraded M52

Racer75

Tuner
Car
BMW 323i (e36)
I have been building up my M52 323i over the last few months and it’s finally finished (minus MOT)

Here’s a list of performance mods if anyone’s interested;

M50 manifold
Aftermarket headers
M50 mid exhaust
328i backbox
Pink 328i injectors
Cold air intake with 3” pipe
540i 3.5” MAF
ASC delete
Air con delete
CCV delete
TB heater pipe delete
ECU remap
17” staggered rims, 225x45 fronts, 245x45 rears
Coilovers
Sump guard/brace
Braided brake lines
OMP steering wheel

Power: ???bhp
(168hp stock, hopefully 220hp)

All I was wondering was if anyone knew if there was a better diff to through in? People have said the original (I think 3.91) isn’t the best, but I don’t know ‍♂️

Cheers

It'll be interesting to see what power figures you'll get from all this, it's certainly going to be an entertaining drive thanks to your level of attention to detail!

Unless you were upgrading to a Torsen differential I would keep the original in there, they can handle quite a bit of a pounding and on a rwd a diff upgrade makes much less of an impact on performance than on a FWD car.

See our 3 series tuning guide https://www.torquecars.com/bmw/3-series-tuning.php

Last edited:
Cheers mate

The only dyno in town won’t test it because it’s ‘too old’ or some daft excuse like that, so I might never know the true power figure but I’m not too bothered as long as it goes

Re the diff I would keep /install a Torsen over a clutch pack type as they only need regular oil changes if you are not intending to drift where a 2 way clutch pack type would be better suited.

Just my 2 cents worth:)

You would think so. The computer wouldn’t recognise the car’ ECU was the excuse they gave.
Sounds odd. As said it's very strange to knock back a customer; who does that?!

If you are willing to travel there's a few dynos in Glasgow (assuming that's where you are as per your profile pic).