e36 316i Performance chips

wrighty316i

Car
bmw 316i
hey lads i have dont a bit of work to me 316 and about to spend a bit more getting it ready for the nct. i would like a bit more power i have red a few posts and im still not sure what i want to do. i dont want to do a swap. any help????
i love the site

Hi there, hopefully Prince who is one of our Beemer Guru's will be along in a while to offer you his assistance on this matter. Good luck ;)

Hi mate, good to see our BMW following has grown stronger! What is the NCT? What mods have been down so far? Why don't you want to swap? (All important questions before I answer the chip question).

hey prince
the n.c.t is the irish m.o.t and it stands for "national car test" i but a M3 back axle on her a gtr spoiler and i lovely set of 18" ssr wheels. i dont want to swap cos i would like to have a high powered 1600

hey prince
the n.c.t is the irish m.o.t and it stands for "national car test" i but a M3 back axle on her a gtr spoiler and i lovely set of 18" ssr wheels. i dont want to swap cos i would like to have a high powered 1600

I will start by saying you won't get much power from the 1.6, not as much as either the M42 or M44 (from the 318is).

Failing that start will the usual mods, panel filter, exhaust, BBTB and then you can either remap of go for a chip. I would lean towards a remap to take advantage of all other mods. If you did just want a performance chip then contact a company called 'End Tuning'. Avoid eBay at all costs.

Also, when you hit 10 posts, get some pics up!

I will start by saying you won't get much power from the 1.6, not as much as either the M42 or M44 (from the 318is).

thats fine but can i get up to the power of a m42 or m44 as in could i get up to a 140-150bhp?

Last edited by a moderator:
thats fine but can i get up to the power of a m42 or m44 as in could i get up to a 140-150bhp?

It'll cost a lot of money to do it. An engine from an 318is should cost no more than £250.

For a 316 you'd spend more than that on an exhaust. Anything is possible, but it depends on what budget you have.

well lets say money is no prob (i wish) what could u do. i know if money was not a prob i would have an M3 but thats not the point

well lets say money is no prob (i wish) what could u do. i know if money was not a prob i would have an M3 but thats not the point

I agree with you there, I hate the 'just sell it and buy a better car' response.

If money was no object then I would look at either a turbo or a supercharger. I am planning to supercharge my 4 pot (318is) so these things are possible. I would expect the 316i to make around 160(ish)bhp with a turbo.

An exhaust, performance panel filter, BBTB and remap should see you hit 120bhp (assuming the engine is healthy).

Remember that the brake and suspension setup are just as important (more important imo) than power.

Have you got an sort of power targets?

i would love to get 160bhp i think i could b happy with that (for a bit any way)
did u every hear of putting in a 318is high lift cam and injectors?

i would love to get 160bhp i think i could b happy with that (for a bit any way)
did u every hear of putting in a 318is high lift cam and injectors?

I haven't tbh. I've heard of the cam and injectors being done on pretty much every other E36 but not the 316i.

What brake and suspension setup have you got/planning?

and thanks for the tip on the chip i was on to endtunig.
they can get me 10bhp :) so im some bit happy

i have bin looking for the cams but i cant find them
if ya know where there are will ya give me a link please

Schrick cams are most commonly used but I don't know if they're available for you. 50bhp is a quite a big target without forced induction though.

and thanks for the tip on the chip i was on to endtunig.
they can get me 10bhp :) so im some bit happy

I knew he was the go to guy for that. I'll probably be going to him myself for a custom map next year (that or 'Evolve').