E32 or E38

Nat

Wrench Pro
Car
750i German Spec
which 7 series would you rather own, and why. an e32, or e38? im parcial to the e32, especially since i own one, and i think it looks better, but the e38 is newer, more powerful, and has better transmissions, as well as being better equiped. but the e32 does have a good amount of toys, and seems a bit sportier. but i want to hear from ya'll as to which ya'll think is the best.

Personally I favour the E39 I just don't like the styling of the E32 that much.

Welcome to the forum USTBUTLER, best drop a new thread in the hello section and tell us all about yourself.

I have an e38, excellent car, the trouble with the e38 it was built by accountants and the e32 was built by mechanics.....They both have their problems as do all cars, but I do love my e38 due to the power and all the toys but there again more to go wrong, it is essential to have a diagnostic kit with both models but particularly the e38 due to so many electrical items, I have now covered 78,000miles (153,000 on clock) and had to change the waterpump,gearbox and two tyres,total cost as I DIY'd the WP and box was £650 and the tyres £180 so pretty good, passed the last 4 mot's straight through,the box failure is down to BMW's life time fluid which is a load of rubbish it needs to be changed 80 to 100k and then every 30-40k after that or your box will go,although the boxes on the V12 seem to be bullet proof even with out changing the fluid ... E65/66 or an FO1 will be my next when the prices drop, but I will still keep the e38 just due to its stance, best ever looking 7 series IMHO.

E39 is fine as long as its the 540i as you have to have a V8, depends what you really want......E38 all the way and as your in the country of origin no problem with spares and you have ZF Dortmund & munich whom can service the gearbox approx €300 @100k and every 40K after that.

Last edited:
so the e38 has 2, the e32 has 2, because i'm biased since i have one, and the e39 has one. so we're back where we started, which is best, the e32 or e38? i actually dont think there is a best, they are both good, and give owners lots of enjoyment, so i think they both win. and thanks marti5 for letting me know about ZF Dortmund, im going to go have my gearbox serviced there pretty soon.

thanks bro, once i get my next pay check, im definitely going there to have my transmission serviced, and my diff. thanks for the heads up, cause i was just going to do it myself, but it probably wouldn't have turned out the same.

agreed, the e32 is easier to work on, it's still not as easy as say, a 1987 318i, but for having such a big engine, and all the electronics it does, its still suprisingly reliable, and the looks a big thing too, it just oozes menance, when in black, when driving down the road. the e38, does look good, but in a different way, and it seems to have more reliabilty issues, and i've had a harder time working on it because of the even more abundent electronics through out the car.

Hi Nat i own a very powerful e32 and want more grunt and power...where do i start,can i get an induction kit for her,i own the silverline model and she flies

Hi Nat i own a very powerful e32 and want more grunt and power...where do i start,can i get an induction kit for her,i own the silverline model and she flies

This thread is going back quite a long time by the looks of the date. The problem a lot of 7 series tuners find is the availability of parts.

I don't know specifically what's available for the E32 as I've never actually looked. But an exhaust and induction kit (possibly make your own if needs be) would be a good place to start.

The E38 is a magnificent piece of engineering and I would take it over the E32. It's far stiffer for a start and the safety equipment leaves the E32 cold.

1 more vote for the e38. IMO it looks a bit sportier, but still looks old timer. will have more electric problems probably with time.. I also like the semi auto gearbox in the e38..

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back