Dyno query

Olley

Track Warrior
Car
E30 touring 325i
this may, or may not, be a stupid question. but!

Can autos go on a dyno? i mean, i don't see why not. but you know... there may be some weird and wonderful reason that they can't...

and if they can, does having an auto box affect the readings?

I think they can but it's problematic because auto's want to change down when you accelerate.

i thought that might be the case. and also the kick down on my car is somewhat violent. which makes me think it might put a lot of stress on the tie down points...

T9's Beast is an auto, so it must be do-able. :)

It is indeed Loz! :) I do however have tiptronic gear selection though so not sure if this makes a difference to the Dyno runs. The old girl has been on the dyno no less than 4 times now without any problems or issues ;)

Ahh O.K. With your tiptronic box you'd be able to hold it in any gear in semiauto mode then?

Correct! but did not view any of the runs properly as I was behind a double glazed screen watching my baby being put through her paces.

Can't you hold all autos in a gear? I am strictly a stick man when it comes to performance cars so I have not tried it.

You can but if you floor it the auto box will kick down a gear. Today's auto's aren't that aggressive on the kickdown but the older versions was terrible.

Can't you hold all autos in a gear? I am strictly a stick man when it comes to performance cars so I have not tried it.

i have a four speed auto, and on the selector it has:
P
R
N
D

when in any of the numbered gears ie 1, 2, 3, it will start in first then go up as it normally would, but will not go higher, i've not tried to see if it will kick down. but even so, on a dyno i will need to put it into D to get it into top (fourth) gear and it would kick down upon acceleration!

I know SFA about autos but, on a dyno you don't 'floor it', you bring the engine up to the required RPM at a steady rate, so kickdown shouldn't activate, should it?

I know SFA about autos but, on a dyno you don't 'floor it', you bring the engine up to the required RPM at a steady rate, so kickdown shouldn't activate, should it?

on the older auto's kick down is anyone's guess, it's kind of a bit hit and miss.
if you keep it steady with minimal pedal travel then i guess no, it won't kick down. only one way to find out i guess... bring on the rolling road! :)

I can't see it as a problem - it will only kick down if there are spare revs in lower gears. You don't need to take the car to max speed on the dyno to get accurate figures.

Thank you gentlemen!
i shall be getting a dyno run as soon as!

Don't build your hopes up regarding the BHP output Olley this way you will not be disappointed! :blink:
I remember the first time I went on a Dyno (I was so green back then) thought that all the claims of the various manufacturers of power gains for their respective parts were valid. By the time I added up all the claimed numbers and added that to my cars original factory output, I was under the delusion that I must have nearly 60 BHP on top! :embarrest::embarrest:

I cried when the print out was shown to me! I felt like I had just been mugged :lol:

Last edited:
well, car was built with 170bhp. so they claim, so taking into account 22 years and 208k miles i'd be happy with 120ish! :)
give me a target to get her back to factory, and then onwards and upwards as they say, although i hope to keep firmly on the ground...

spotted these on the old fleabay... opinions?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E30-3...arParts_SM&hash=item43ae858274#ht_2217wt_1199

Leave eBay cheap rubbish coilovers well alone mate unless you don't care about how it handles.

They don't look too bad Olley, price not too cheap or too expensive! Lets see what Prince makes of them ;)

well, car was built with 170bhp. so they claim, so taking into account 22 years and 208k miles i'd be happy with 120ish! :)
give me a target to get her back to factory, and then onwards and upwards as they say, although i hope to keep firmly on the ground...

spotted these on the old fleabay... opinions?

This site shows you the actual units on offer on eBay for the same price:

http://www.coiloversdirect.co.uk/bmw-e30-adjustable-coilovers/prod_26.html

They seem to be a good make. Many sites sell them, even one site selling lifting kits for Defenders - They will give them a good workout!

Had a dyno done about a month ago,i was quite pleased with the outcome i gained 15% more power,but they did upgrade the ecu!.