Duratec V6 Camshaft question

mgbond

Car
Noble M12 GTO
Hi, I did post this in the Mondeo forum but it might be better here?

I have a Noble M12 GTO with the Duratec ST24 engine. (2.5 V6) My heads have been flowed I have a different inlet manifold and the engine is fully forged. I'm currently running 500bhp. I want to improve the airflow some more.

Does anyone know the cam profiles for the Duratec ST24 and ST200 as I believe the ST200 would give slightly more inlet lift.

Does anyone also know if the ST200 head flows better than the ST24 head (bearing in mind i have had mine flowed).

I am seriously considering getting some ST200 heads (if they are better) and having them machined to fit ST220 bigger valves. The bigger inlet valves will allow me to get more air in at the same boost and I'm guessing the bigger exhaust vales would probably mean the turbos would spool a little earlier?

Any help would be great.

Sorry for my slow reply, I've been moving this site to a new server and we had quite a few issues to iron out. Thankfully I wont have to do it again for a few years!

Bigger valves sometime mean slower air flow, but greater capacity of air so not necessarily something that will give more boost.

Swapping to a twin scroll turbo setup will help, there are some pretty impressive turbo designs around now that give low end spoolup and more top end. The twin scroll will also help with scavenging and generally build on what you've already done.

Valve lift and duration are just as important as valve size, and larger valves carry more weight and can generally be less reliable, especially if you use stock springs.

The head and intake needs to be viewed as a whole, some cam profiles sap power on flowed heads. A Vernier pulley will help you to get the power band exactly where you need it.

Have you spoken to the guys at Burton power, and Kent Cams/Piper cams for options and tech info about the cam profiles?

Hi, thanks for the reply.

this is a twin turbo application so getting the airflow isn’t an issue but getting it into the chamber is as this is now my restriction. So yes more lift in the Cams is my first port of call and I just wondered if anyone knthe specifications for the ST24, ST200 and ST220 cams. Yes I have stronger springs. If I improve the airflow into the chamber then I could probably run less boost for same power but that wouldn’t be right so of course I’ll keep same boost and hope for more power .
I have spoken to kent cams about upgraded Cams but not asked them if they had the std specifications as I thought they would want to keep that to them selves. I’ll give it a go.
I supose I’m asking about the Cams as I’m thinking I might just need ST200 Cams if the lift is better than the ST24 Cams that I have.

Martin

Hi, thanks for the reply.

this is a twin turbo application so getting the airflow isn’t an issue but getting it into the chamber is as this is now my restriction. So yes more lift in the Cams is my first port of call and I just wondered if anyone knthe specifications for the ST24, ST200 and ST220 cams. Yes I have stronger springs. If I improve the airflow into the chamber then I could probably run less boost for same power but that wouldn’t be right so of course I’ll keep same boost and hope for more power .
I have spoken to kent cams about upgraded Cams but not asked them if they had the std specifications as I thought they would want to keep that to them selves. I’ll give it a go.
I supose I’m asking about the Cams as I’m thinking I might just need ST200 Cams if the lift is better than the ST24 Cams that I have.

Martin
Sorry not been on the site in ages.
Theres not much you can do with the 2.5 engine and you cant use the heads from a 3.0.
Personally I would get new billet cams and port the heads you have.