Dual zone climate control is not perfect

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
We have now had 2 cars with dual zone climate control but we are still not happy.

My wife wants the cold air directed at her feet (yeah, I know how weird and totally useless is that) but I prefer it at my face.

Has a car been made yet with the ability to control which vents the dual zone air comes out to?

I have dual climate control but to be honest I always leave it in single zone mode. I will try that scenario and get back to you on this one.

Dual zone is split left/right. Of course it's not perfect, unless one were to build a screen between left and right sides of the passenger cell !!

My E39 has dual zone, it's unusual in having two separate heater matrices so you can, to a point achieve what Waynne's trying to achieve.

There is also a control on the face level vents that goes from three red dots to three blue dots. Call stratified temperature control or something. So you can have some peculiar arrangements.

Hot air down in the footwells but set full blue on face vents and it's totally unheated by the matrices. You can also do hot face cold feet (not sure why you'd want to do so).

I also have a pair of face level vents between the front seats which offer the rear seat passengers temperature adjustable face level ventilation !!!!!

A bit OTT perhaps but it does work extremely well indeed.

Attachments

• DSC_0013.jpg
    DSC_0013.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC_0014.jpg
    DSC_0014.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC_0015.jpg
    DSC_0015.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC_0016.jpg
    DSC_0016.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
It does work well. Thing is that on and off systems work very well too. I've had cars with A/C since 1996.

Multi zone climate control doesn't add anything at all to cooling/heating efficacy in my opinion. Sure it looks nice and impressive but it's no necessary for comfort.

I'd rather have an A/C system that can get stupidly cold and regulate it rather than have a half hearted system that starts to stuggle when ambient temperatures are high.