DRLs

aswearing

Torque Master
Car
Micra 160sr
Done to death by the majority of cars undoubtedly, but what are the car enthusiasts' opinion on the safety of these items?

They obviously make a difference enough for it to become law for them to be fitted on new cars, but how about retrofitting to older cars?

I think (as far as styling goes) they should be left well alone unless they are standard on your car.

For example I saw a MK 3 Golf with them on the other day and I couldn't help but laugh at the stupidity of it, only made worse by the fact it was the only modification!

Now, for the practicality of them. DRLs make the car more visible. Which can't really be a bad thing.

well ultra are doing r8 style headlights now so expect to see them on every boy racer car now, they gonna be killed like angel eyes, think i may get the 182 projector headlights, if i dont get morettes

The R8 style lights have been knocking about for a while now. From personal experience aftermarket lights tend to be rubbish. They just steam up and you end up putting the old units back in.

I'd rather have the OEM lights with some HIDs.

my angel eyes never steamed up, but 182 prjectors with hids and black bevel spray me thinks

the idea that they make the car more obvious when driving is fine. however itll end up like high vis jackets. we are starting to see them so often that we now blank them out

to me there too bright and seeing cars that have the cheap parts fitted just loks stupid - pretty much like angel eyes do on anything other than a BMW

the idea that they make the car more obvious when driving is fine. however itll end up like high vis jackets. we are starting to see them so often that we now blank them out

to me there too bright and seeing cars that have the cheap parts fitted just loks stupid - pretty much like angel eyes do on anything other than a BMW

Not ok on a Saab? takes the slow walk away and sulks! :sad2:

I'm glad people agree on the safety aspect...which is why I am retrofitting to mine. The styling aspect of these only comes in the form of mounting them in a similar fashion to those seen on the Citroen DS3.

And they aren't a cheap set either :sad2: I believe that their brightness is a bonus, considering I am rather unlucky (being crashed into more often than I would have liked)

I think they're pointless. And most of them look horrendous. And typical of Audi to make them too bright.

"I'm going to blind you with my Audi DRLs!! Because I'm better than you! BETTER!!!"

I think they're pointless. And all of them look horrendous. And typical of Audi to make them too bright.

"I'm going to blind you with my Audi DRLs!! Because I'm better than you! BETTER!!!"
I agree with yugguy! But slightly edited;)
If you cant see a car coming you really shouldn't be driving!

I agree with yugguy! But slightly edited;)
If you cant see a car coming you really shouldn't be driving!

Quite right too! I can see the point in having them on cars now, I personally think that they are just to bright thats all! Ordinary DRL sidelights on the old school Volvos and Saabs back in the 80's & 90's was just about right in my opinion, but peoples perceptions and technology move on :)

I'm pretty sure most cars are fitted with sidelights anyway so what's wrong with using them instead of fitting aftermarket DRLs that will do nothing but annoy people coming the other way?

Sidelights alone are not allowed to be used in a moving car. Silly rule perhaps but that's the way it is.

I do agree, if you can't see an approaching car then you shouldn't be driving but that doesn't change the fact that many people do so, all the same.

They're often the same people who forget to light up when it's appropriate and necessary, or leave it until near darkness before doing so.

Automatic lights are there for these drivers.

But a DRL which is specifically designed to work as a DRL is fine. The idea is visibility, not vision and as such these lamps are designed (or should be designed) to provide a wide and diffuse patch of light, not a beam as such. I don't think glare is a problem. No artificial light is going to cause glare against a clear sky.

BMW also fits some ridiculously overly bright DRLs it's vehicles. At least Audi's ones are composed of clusters of LEDs.

Sidelights alone are not allowed to be used in a moving car. Silly rule perhaps but that's the way it is.

I do agree, if you can't see an approaching car then you shouldn't be driving but that doesn't change the fact that many people do so, all the same.

They're often the same people who forget to light up when it's appropriate and necessary, or leave it until near darkness before doing so.

Automatic lights are there for these drivers.

But a DRL which is specifically designed to work as a DRL is fine. The idea is visibility, not vision and as such these lamps are designed (or should be designed) to provide a wide and diffuse patch of light, not a beam as such. I don't think glare is a problem. No artificial light is going to cause glare against a clear sky.

BMW also fits some ridiculously overly bright DRLs it's vehicles. At least Audi's ones are composed of clusters of LEDs.

Sidelight's can be used without the main beam.

:blink: i always drive with just sidelights on when the sun is just starting to go down :blink:

why dont we just get a small version of a light house, strap it to the roof wont be missed then

:blink: i always drive with just sidelights on when the sun is just starting to go down :blink:

why dont we just get a small version of a light house, strap it to the roof wont be missed then

Why don't the authorities just change the rules to accomodate drivers who understand that being seen and being visible are both good ideas?

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back