Driving Lessons.

choness2004

Torque Junkie
Car
Honda Civic EG
Having got my provisional license in recent days, I was just wondering how many hours you spent learning to drive.

A leaflet they sent said an average of 40 hours with an instuctor and 30 hours personal time, does this look too larger number for you or is this accurate to what you did?

Thanks all,

Corey.

in total 22 hours of learning and 2 tests

70 hrs seems a bit extreme!
you learn the basics in your first 2 lessons then its just a case of building your competence/confidence

my niece recently had 16hrs before her first test (which she didnt take due to complications with the tester:mad:)but she will have had 20 hrs when she takes her next test and hopefully pass

It took me a year and I had about 2 hours a week in lessons on average so around 105 hours. My step dad took me through the west end of London in Rush hour and when I got out sucessfully he said "you're ready for your test!".

it would depend on the individual driver i imagin, i past first time with one minor, and had 4 months learning, two and a half of which i missed due to rugby injuries, where as my mrs has been learning for over a year now...

I did 4 hours but have been driving since I was little. Took my theory beforehand too so I think that helped. Was mainly just learning HOW the examiner wanted manourvers done etc and making mirror checks obvious etc.

Anyone who declares that they still drive in exactly the same way as they did whilst taking their driving test has made no progress at all.

A pass certificate is no more than a bit of paper that allows you to drive on the road without L plates and without a driver accompanying you in the passenger seat.

It's a statutory minimum, that's all.

Anyone who declares that they still drive in exactly the same way as they did whilst taking their driving test has made no progress at all.

A pass certificate is no more than a bit of paper that allows you to drive on the road without L plates and without a driver accompanying you in the passenger seat.

It's a statutory minimum, that's all.

I have seen far worse middle aged drivers than I have people who have just passed there test, shame the insurance companies dont see that.

The worst I have seen was an older bloke, cut someone up on the M40, they cut him up back then he tried ramming them off the road, he must have been in his mid to late 60's, looked like a courier driver (van and all that) Nuts

Yeah i agree with HDi, I only passed about 2 years ago and i'm still quite happy to admit i'm still learning. It still amazes me the sixth sense people like my dad have. He'll be tramming down the motorway doing over a ton, then suddenly slow down and stay calm at 70. Then we pass a police car. I still can't figure it out to this day.

Observation mate. I can also tell when there is police about on the motorway from a good distance. There is always that sign of brake lights and people pulling into the middle lane instead of screaming past.

It's even more amusing when the police car is cruising at about 60mph, and everyone brakes like mad and very few people overtake.

No lights and inside lane, so it's not even as if he was carrying out a rolling roadblock.

Observations are good though. It's scary how often I see an emergency vehicle coming along with everything going from 100 yards further away than people almost on top of it do.