Driving in different shoes

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I thought i'd experiment a little by driving the car in different types of shoes and see if there is much difference in the overall control of the car.

Here are the results

Footwear Type.......Observations

Trainers ................. Worked quite well, had good control of brakes and accelerator without any slip.
Smart Shoes .......... Were very good also but when they were wet there was an annoying squeek and they tended to skid around a bit.
Flippers ................. Just didn't really work,there was not enough push in them to control the pedals so on the basis that the car couldn't move it was probably the safest option.
Clown shoes ........... I had to have the seat so far back with these on that I couldn't reach the steering wheel at all. So it was good for pedal control but directional control suffered to the point of being dangerous.
Cowboy boots ......... I had good control over the pedals but the spurs really have wrecked the carpets so a note for cowboys, remove spurs when driving.

Diving boots ........... Pedal control was reduced to on or off. So it was great for emergency stops but fuel economy marginally suffered.

So what footwear have you used in your car and how did you get on with it?

i wear DCSHOECOUSA trainers all the time. and they, i think, are great for driving in. designed with skateboarding or BMXing in mind they have quite stiff soles, but you can still feel the pedals. no slip when wet, and comfortable enough to wear as slippers in the house....

not that i'm trying to advertise them or anything... :rolleyes:

does not worry me what i drive in

but in the summer i do like to go bare footed best for control and cooling
when i was in france i drove round most of the day like it ok that day was going around the ww2 beaches so did save getting sand in my shoes
but have to remember that when you go in mcdonalds you have to put something on lol

I wear trainers or something else casual most of the time and these are fine for me.

I have driven in ankle high boots and it takes some adaption although at 6'4" I'm far enough away from the pedal box that my ankles are usually straight anyway.

Steel capped work boots are a bit of a challenge and do make brake modulation a bit fiddly. Woe betide anyone who sits too close behind !! And that's before the kicking I'll administer (whilst wearing 'em) when they run into the back of my car. :lol:

Don't even ask about HDi's weekend attire :)

I thought i'd experiment a little by driving the car in different types of shoes and see if there is much difference in the overall control of the car.

Here are the results

Footwear Type.......Observations

Trainers ................. Worked quite well, had good control of brakes and accelerator without any slip.
Smart Shoes .......... Were very good also but when they were wet there was an annoying squeek and they tended to skid around a bit.
Flippers ................. Just didn't really work,there was not enough push in them to control the pedals so on the basis that the car couldn't move it was probably the safest option.
Clown shoes ........... I had to have the seat so far back with these on that I couldn't reach the steering wheel at all. So it was good for pedal control but directional control suffered to the point of being dangerous.
Cowboy boots ......... I had good control over the pedals but the spurs really have wrecked the carpets so a note for cowboys, remove spurs when driving.

Diving boots ........... Pedal control was reduced to on or off. So it was great for emergency stops but fuel economy marginally suffered.

So what footwear have you used in your car and how did you get on with it?

why havent you put high hells??
we all know waynnetta wears high heels;):amuse:

I find that trainers are the best, for feel and control.

Wearing 'smart' shoes are just too slippery as they have leather soles and the slightest bit of water they fly off the pedals.
Wellingtons, always an adventure for driving in.
Steel toe capped boots, like Waynnes diving boots, either on or off, thats about it.

Herb, like the idea about high heels, might give this a try. Just have to find some in size 12 first.

Driven in all of the above, with the exception of stilettos, ;), and in sandals and barefoot too.

The most comfortable I found were bowling shoes, because the have a rubber sole for grip, some padding, but not so much that you do not feel the pedals, and are easy on the right heel, during extended durations of high speed cruising.

In fact I keep a pair in the boot/dicky/trunk of my cars, just in case....

Don't be quick to judge a man, till you have driven a mile in his shoes!

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk!

Driven in all of the above, with the exception of stilettos, ;), and in sandals and barefoot too.

The most comfortable I found were bowling shoes, because the have a rubber sole for grip, some padding, but not so much that you do not feel the pedals, and are easy on the right heel, during extended durations of high speed cruising.

In fact I keep a pair in the boot/dicky/trunk of my cars, just in case....

Don't be quick to judge a man, till you have driven a mile in his shoes!

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk!

What :eek: Including Flippers, Clown shoes and diving boots! :lol:

most often drive in sneakers or suit shoes. The sneakers work better but I have often needed to drive in hiking shoes which can be nice when driveing the SAR Land Rovers but can be a bit harder to use on the Getz, hence the light pedals