Driving Etiquette

aswearing

Torque Master
Car
Micra 160sr
how courteous are we when on the road? do we forgive those who act like muppets or do we follow them and annoy them? do you let people into the stream of traffic or do you tailgate the car infront to deny them?

my example is on the A1 near bawtry traffic from two lanes merges into one, i knew this so i got into the left lane early. but of course, the clever dicks like to make life a misery by causing traffic - i.e. charging down the closing lane to get as far ahead as possible. (you know who you are!)

as soon as motorist were aware of the traffic merging they stopped and waited for someone to let them in, while others - primarily BMW owners, white van men and a couple of Mercedes drivers proceed to speed along until its physically impossible to go any futher due to traffic cones and just wedge their way in FORCING the car/lorry to allow them.

i had no sympathy for these people and they should have more DRIVING ETIQUETTE, so i did not let any that attempted, infront of me.

would you do the same? are you the ones who charge to the end? if so, why?

I have to admit that in certain instances i AM that BMW driver that boots it down to the end of the line to merge in. I only do this however because everyone else does it and why should they get away with it when i have to sit in the big line of traffic. I know there's always some muppet to let them all in and therefore i may as well take advantage of that very same muppet and get myself up there.

Other driving etiquette however should not be overlooked, and this is the mere wave of a hand in thanks for stopping for someone or letting someone out or in or whatever, people that don't say thanks by way of a wave or a flash of the dips get right on my tits!! They should be hunted down!

That is all..... 8)

The unthankful certainly don't encourage us to be nice next time and it doesn't take much effort.

I never get let out during rush hour so therefore I never return the favour, tail-gating the car in front to deny them any chance what so ever. Sometimes, I'm not in the mood and I do the speed limits and then I get some boy racer up my ass because hes unable to overtake, basically what I do then is slow down to about 20mph and if he tries to overtake, I speed up, either that or slam on and see if hes breaking the 2 second rule :D

I occupy the lane realyl early and hold everyone else back by staying level with the car to my left. Keeps everything moving beautifully but causes absolute rage for the idiot behind who wants to tear down to the last cone and have everyone else stop and give way.

No chance. You are NOT going by.

Once or twice I've had the odd really serious idiot get out of his car and have a swipe. Am I bothered?

Nope. Not in the sligtest.

in this day and age of roadrage we should be equipped (as standard) with anti-moron equipment, where if morons come up to your car alarms sound telling them to step back and have a razor sharp blade flick out from underneath the side sills

similarly this technique was used on a bmw z4 in south africa, due to the high number of car jackings

I think your average bond car has all the gadgets you need, oil slick, smoke screen .... rockets! Ejector seats for the Mother in Law! Spike balls, bearings, bullet proof glass and metal, stealth paint to render the car invisible - that one might cause problems though as half the morons out there seem to have trouble seeing me anyway! :D

i'll tell you what is fun...when you get an impatient rep/boy racer tailgating you so close that you cant see even see his headlights in your rear view mirror - this continues for the entire 30's/40's until you hit the magical national speed limit....then you floor it - leaving them standing :D

makes me grin so much :twisted:

I hate people that push in especially if you didnt expect it. Like today twice, once with some one in beamer the other in a 4x4.

I agree with Alpha - stand on the pedal and watch 'em disappear in the mirror. Even more fun with a diesel cos' if you're really lucky you can smoke 'em out too.!!!

I enjoy the ritual humiliation of the uninitiated.

I did 27 - dropped it into third, slowed to 25 the moron behind started to pull out as we got into the nation speed limit, I flored it - turbo cuts in immediately and I left him standing in the wrong lane of the road in his mums 1.0 shopping car! He never bothered trying again! The great thing is that I took of the Turbo badge so the car looks like a standard 1.8!! :lol:

It merely depends what you're style is mate. If you're creating a "sleeper" i.e. a car that looks standard but goes like sh*t off a stick then it's a decent idea, especially if the lower models look the same. Watch someone think you're nothing and rev at the lights, then simply gun it and take them out

And I'll get my ole' diesel rights back here from Waynne (sorry).

Such fun to let 'em think they're making progress alongside up til about 60-70mph. Then boot it (any gear - mapped up modern diesel, it doesn't matter which you're in) and watch their silly little cars disappear into the distance in the mirror.

Ok, they sometimes catch up a few miles later but it's taken 'em ten minutes to do so. So, repeat over -- toe down, byeeee

I stopped a car once to tell him his front wheel was going round (It was someone that I knew)! He got out and looked then realised I'd made him look daft!

how courteous are we when on the road? do we forgive those who act like muppets or do we follow them and annoy them? do you let people into the stream of traffic or do you tailgate the car infront to deny them?

my example is on the A1 near bawtry traffic from two lanes merges into one, i knew this so i got into the left lane early. but of course, the clever dicks like to make life a misery by causing traffic - i.e. charging down the closing lane to get as far ahead as possible. (you know who you are!)

as soon as motorist were aware of the traffic merging they stopped and waited for someone to let them in, while others - primarily BMW owners, white van men and a couple of Mercedes drivers proceed to speed along until its physically impossible to go any futher due to traffic cones and just wedge their way in FORCING the car/lorry to allow them.

i had no sympathy for these people and they should have more DRIVING ETIQUETTE, so i did not let any that attempted, infront of me.

would you do the same? are you the ones who charge to the end? if so, why?

We went a tad off topic here. I wonder if our opinions have changed some months down the line.

It is tought to call, if a driver is pushing in at the last minute for a selfish advantage then no I will not let him in. If however a driver is new to the area and doesn't know the road and looks sheepish and tries to change lane when he realises then I will let him in.

Its these late cutters in that cause the delays on our roads. :evil:

the same problem happens in Carlisle to roads leading out both show north, then halfway up the left lane turns into left turn only and the right lane stays as stright ahead ( north). the amount of people that charge up the left lane then push in right at the last minute. its not just BMW Merc White van drivers ether. the buses are the worst they will start to push there way back into the lane. If its not well signed or they have be trying to get back in for a while, not including buses which should know better. if theyve charged down the lane then nope ill hold the car close to the car in front

I tend to be fairly courteous ie: letting cars out turning left ( as I have often sat there ),keeps th traffic flowing, whats another ' one ' in front of me ;) but if some muppet has shot down the outside or inside for that matter, hoping to save, what 30,40 secs, I won't let them back in! Also as Wayne mentioned about ' new to area ' look! I try to be forgiving, as many a time
I've managed to get myself a bit ' out of sorts ' in a strange place!

As for the bit ' off topic ', way the thread went, I hate when you get the muppet that thinks " its only an old banger ", then come & try it, but be prepared for a red face!! :toung:

Chris.. :blink1: