Drivers with mechanical knowledge

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you think that knowing how a car works will make you a better driver? What sort of pieces of knowledge make (or should make) the biggest difference to your driving?

Probably not, although it might make you more mechanically sympathetic toward your car (by not kerbing wheels and tyres etc. which can cause alignment problems and tyre damage) which, in turn, might indirectly make you safer.

You're also less likely to be savage on your car, for example, revving it hard before the engine has warmed up.

I do indeed think that mechanical knowledge, plays a major roll in happy driving. I am only saying that because I do have mechanical knowledge. Unfortunatley, these days, the electrical side, governs the mechanical side! and so forth. however! One can detect any mechanical knock, or tap, or change any drive belt, without the computer saying no. Armed with this knowledge, I can saftley say, that if the engine is still running, and it was a mechanical defect, then I could fix it myself. So there you go.:)

Dont think having knowledge makes you safer although i could be wrong

I think what makes you a safe driver is knowing that if you drive like a loon and crash all that money you have spent on it will be for nothing!!!

i am always thinking what the engine is doing as i am driveing, i think it makes me a better driver. but i dont know

Dont think having knowledge makes you safer although i could be wrong

I think what makes you a safe driver is knowing that if you drive like a loon and crash all that money you have spent on it will be for nothing!!!
nice one chippy. With all this credit crunch an all! I think we need to protect our induction kits, and exhaust's. I was driving the other day, from Reading to Bradford. A short 220 mile hop. On the M1, Northbound! I noticed a car that was smoking, from the exhaust, on the hard shoulder. It was a French car, as in a Pegoet,:lol: and the occupants were saftley on the verge, thank god. As I passed, at a reasonable 80 MPH, I then noticed, in my mirrors, that the engine bay, suddenly ignited, engulfing the M1, with not only toxic fumes, but flames aswell. I am sure that they were recovered, in time. All this could of been avoided though, by servicing, and respect, for the Auto. they were thrashing.:rolleyes:

lol Friend of mine just spent money on new alloys spent a few hundred on engine mods body kit tinted windows ect and crashed the other night lol i wet myself cos he was the only one on the road at the time. serves him right for driving like an idiot i say:)

I think that if you can tell alot about a person by how he minds his car, and i know when i jump into the car in the morning i wouldn't dare bring it above 3000 revs until the temp gauge starts to rise.

We used to have an Audi 80 1.6 Turbo diesel at home but we put on one of those Kenlowe Hot Starts onto the cooling system, can these even be got these days??
But it was connected between the bottom water hose and the water pump i think and on a cold morning you would bring out an extension lead plug in the unit and leave it for about 15 minutes,come out and the block would be warm, the same car went around the clock twice and never had any serious work done to it!! Actually still see it the odd time tipping around!! :bigsmile:

I've never heard of a Kenlowe Hot start?! It sounds like a good idea. Don't Saab have a way of keeping the engine coolant warm over night?

I'd agree with that, purely because those that have engineering knowledge will show some sympathy towards the mechanical properties within any engine or gearbox when warming up. The rest is down to how you drive and having confidence with the car and knowing its designed limits. I know what my car is capable of how well it can corner. However if I were sat in a mk1 Cortina with crossply tyres then I would adjust my driving style accordingly. No hard cornering!

I'd agree with that, purely because those that have engineering knowledge will show some sympathy towards the mechanical properties within any engine or gearbox when warming up. The rest is down to how you drive and having confidence with the car and knowing its designed limits. I know what my car is capable of how well it can corner. However if I were sat in a mk1 Cortina with crossply tyres then I would adjust my driving style accordingly. No hard cornering!

Would everyone else adjust theirs in sympathy though. They'd still leave you no room whatsoever to deal with a problem their own poor driving created for you. Many will not see you at all. Even those who do would not apply the thought process of "o look, that's a nice Mk1 Cortina, Those have drum brakes and crossplies, let's therefore give the driver a little more room to adjust his speed, position and direction."

I'd adjust my driving style in such a car to not venturing onto the highway at all to be honest. Which is a shame as there are some truly beautifully restored and maintained modern classics about.

That is so true, as the same applies to lorries, so many times I see cars nipping infront of them before a junction or round-a-bout to just steal a few feet leaving the poor lorry driver little braking distance. Always the company hack doing this, selfish drivers imo.

I think track experience is worth more than mechanical knowledge. If you understand oversteer and understeer then I think you can be a safer driver. IMO.

I think track experience is worth more than mechanical knowledge. If you understand oversteer and understeer then I think you can be a safer driver. IMO.

That's very prescriptive TN69!

If you're encountering savage over-steer or understeer on a regular basis then you're possibly going a teensy weensy bit to quickly. Possibly.

But if you're getting mild feedback from the car and that feedback concurs with your intentions and what you expect then it's not a problem.

Indeed, it's possible to use steering inputs to provoke such behaviour to your advantage.