Drivebelt tensioner bolt does not relive belt tension, only loosens bolt ?

FastLife91

Torque Junkie
Car
Ford Focus mk2
Hi,
Please help I have never changed drivebelt before and as everyone is isolating due to covid 19 I am doing it myself.
car is a 57 plate Vectra C 1.9 cdti 120 bhp , When I undo the tensioner bolt it only loosens the bolt on the tensioner and does not actually affect/loosen the tension on the belt to get it off .

the belt has shredded and the belt has also come of one or 2 of the pulleys a little bit it isn't full on the pulley
anyone have any ideas?
much appreciated thanks

IF it drives the altenator then loosen the bolt holding it to the block.
Hi, thank you for replying
yes it does drive alternator as well , the tutorials just show to rotate clockwise the 15 nut on tensioner pulley i was going anti clockwise hence why bolt came out lol will try again tomorrow and post any progress ty

Good on you for having go and getting your hands dirty. It's the best way of learning.

On some tensioners you have to pull the belts and tensioner taught then tighten, they don't do the whole job themselves. I've used a lump of metal or wood to pull everything tight whilst someone tightens it up and locks it all in place.

Good on you for having go and getting your hands dirty. It's the best way of learning.

On some tensioners you have to pull the belts and tensioner taught then tighten, they don't do the whole job themselves. I've used a lump of metal or wood to pull everything tight whilst someone tightens it up and locks it all in place.

Been there done that ;)