Torque Cars

Drilled, slotted or plain

Discussion in 'Mercedes Forums' started by Ianr, 4 April 2017.

1. Ianr

Ianr Newbie

Florida
    Car:
    Mercedes CLS550
    Hi, my first post, hope you like it.
    I have a 2014 CLS 550, 30000 miles with minor brake tremors, it has Drilled Front Discs. I have not been able to track down the cause, Discs look good, no wear or distortion, wheels and new Michelins balanced. I have read that Drilled Discs are weaker than either slotted or plain Discs. I would appreciate everyone's input, please

thexav likes this.
  2. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    Hi and welcome:) |B
    Your "minor brake tremors" will almost certainly be warped rotors/discs that can be machined out. I have experienced exactly that quite a few times over many years and call my on site mobile brake machinist who uses his on car machine to mill them back to true PROVIDED that they will still be thicker than the minimum specified thickness.

When it comes to the type of disc there are many cases of drilled discs with cracks radiating from the drilled holes so FWIW I would recommend plain or slotted depending on weather it is a road only or tracked.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...AhWDErwKHXd_DMYQsAQILA&biw=1680&bih=926&dpr=1

Rudders666, Lunchmoney and T9 man like this.
  3. Ianr

Ianr Newbie

Florida
    Car:
    Mercedes CLS550
    Thanks for your response, I will check that out an maybe replace the Discs for non drilled

4. wizzer

wizzer Road Burner

Lyndhurst, Hampshire
    Car:
    VW Golf 2.0 TDi
    Drilled is overkill for the roads anyway. They keep the pads nice and clear though. I'd stick with grooved or dimpled for the best of both worlds.

Putting a bigger disc and caliper on will have a better effect than adding slotted or drilled disc.

Lunchmoney likes this.
  5. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    Greetings Ianr and welcome to our TorqueCars forum :)

6. Ianr

Ianr Newbie

Florida
    Car:
    Mercedes CLS550
    Thanks for your response, food for thought

7. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    You are most welcome sir |B

8. thexav

thexav Pro Tuner Staff Member

Car:
    2002 Clio 172
    Let us know what you decide and what you go for and how you get on with them.

9. Yugguy

Yugguy Torque King

Rugby (expat Preston lad)
    Car:
    Merc C220Cdi Elegan
    I've put drilled brembos on the fronts on the c220, with brembo pads. As much for the look as anything else. They do stop well, butno better than standard, and slightly noiser on hard braking. But they look good so what can you do:lol::rofl:

No issues with vibration. Done about 5 or 6k with them.

Lunchmoney likes this.
  10. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    I really rate the Brembos, they seem to turn out consistently high quality brake parts.

Lunchmoney likes this.
  11. Ianr

Ianr Newbie

Florida
    Car:
    Mercedes CLS550
    Thinking of going with plain and ceramic pads, ordered the pads still not sure slotted or plain but seems that the consensus is that drilled areore susceptible to cracks, breaks and warping,.

12. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    CAUTION if you track your car then try to do a cool down lap with no braking and when parked DO NOT apply the hand brake as that can/will lead to a warped disc also move the car slightly after a little while to move the hot spot away from the same place on the disc.

T9 man and Lunchmoney like this.