Dragsters with front engines

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How mad do you have to be to drive a drag racer with an engine in front of you?

How much protective gear would you wear and what would you most worry about?

For me i'd be paranoid about engine components coming my way with being coated by hot oil in second place.

Depends how the engine is mounted, if its longitudinal i wouldnt be too worried as if the clutch or flywheel broke up it would go off to the side (to decapitate a spectator)

I personally wouldnt have a problem with it, flame retardant suits and crash helmets would keep me safe :p

hehehe...whatever do you mean?

My office is ever so safe. Just a few things such as a diff sat between your testicles, a clutch between your feet and an engine running on 95% TNT based liquid explosive, a few feet infront of your noggin... :toung:

IMG_1602.jpg

2-pad_1206.jpg

2-crw_6682.jpg

On a serious note, the reason front engined fuel dragster were outlawed was due to the number of deaths and injuries in the late 60's. They're essentially still a bit lethal, even with 6 layer firesuits (a friend in the US who drives a similar car, spent a month in hospital recovering from burns).

My safety kit consists of an sfi20 firesuit, carbon-x underwear, protective boots, sfi20 gloves, a nitromethane tolerant helmet and HANS device. That's £2k or so all in.

In terms of injuries, I've had a couple of burns and heat rashes from the clutch getting a bit warm, and header flames licking around my face.

It's not for everyone, I know that much. Of the dozen or so active FED's (Front Engine Dragster) in the country, only 2 of which run on nitromethane, and mine is the only one to make an on-track run since the last car did in 2004 (which I was part of the crew for). :)

So you have to be pretty mad then ;) :lol:

I guess it focusses your mind both when racing it and when setting it up.:eek: