Double Glazed Windows

RSmith

Torque Junkie
Car
Smart Fortwo Pas'n
Hi guys,

I'm looking into making a one-off comfort cruising car. Very slight cabin noise, luxury seats, wooden dashboard, cruise control for the long roads and a crisp sound system. I was also thinking about double glazing the windows to stop misting and noise levels. Are there any companies out there that do it? I've found nothing at all.

need a lexus ls 96+ or a merc i think its the s500 the v12 limo think that is double glazed as the windows are very thiick double what the lexus ones are

What are you doing this for again youth? College? Do they not teach you anything :lol:

Too heavy and too thick for a start. A few cars have had proper double glazing but most of the ones that do nowadays (some of the Range Rovers and i think some of the bigger Audis) use laminated glass rather than proper double glazing with the air-gap between the panes.

Suppose it's feasible on some of the bigger top of the range cars with deeper doors etc.

Go and source a used 7 series BMW. I believe these all came double glazed.

A Lexus LS400 would be a very good alternative and is even quieter.

Of the LS400, in Clarkson's words -

"It's so isolated from the outside world that it gives a very good impression of what it might be like to be dead................It's much like any other luxury car, BMW's 7 series and Mercedes Benz's S-Class, for example, except that it's so much quieter........................................so quiet that you can hear you own hair growing."

my old ls400 was so quiet and fast
infact if my trans am sold i was looking at the ls430

They're great ways to get around in near silence, aren't they.

I have a problem with the GS430 though, and that problem is that it puts me off the GS300 because I'll always know there's a faster one available ;-(

Go and source a used 7 series BMW. I believe these all came double glazed.

A Lexus LS400 would be a very good alternative and is even quieter.

Of the LS400, in Clarkson's words -

"It's so isolated from the outside world that it gives a very good impression of what it might be like to be dead................It's much like any other luxury car, BMW's 7 series and Mercedes Benz's S-Class, for example, except that it's so much quieter........................................so quiet that you can hear you own hair growing."

Only some 7 series have DG mostly the V12 750i/il it was an optional extra but there are quite a few around with it fitted.

They're great ways to get around in near silence, aren't they.

I have a problem with the GS430 though, and that problem is that it puts me off the GS300 because I'll always know there's a faster one available ;-(

i do like the gs300 is the ls's smaller brother but still the same great car

would like a gs but think if i got another lexus would have to be a ls400 or ls430

I'd like a GS300 (looked at one recently) but I'd really really like a GS430.

An LS430 (and a GS430) is likely to be too costly in fuel terms for me at the moment so I'll just have to carry on without a car of my own for now at least.

Now - BMW 750i - that's a serious piece of kit but I imagine an LS430 would see it off in performance terms.