Torque Cars

Double Clutching

Discussion in 'General car Chat' started by Prince, 9 November 2008.

1. Chris Green

Chris Green Torque Junkie

West London
    Car:
    SEAT Leon 2.0l TDi
    Got me thinking. I honestly can't remember the last time I had to do a 'full blown' emergency stop. Just as well the cars of today do bristle with ABS, ESP, EBD etc, cos by the time I have to do one, I'll have forgotten how to spell 'cadence' let alone do it! Our holiday hire car in Sicily, a brand new Lancia Ypsilon (what an odd looking motor) seemed to be very keen to cut the ABS in though on what I wouldn't have thought to be particularly slippery surfaces - of course, it could have been a fault!

2. prevtec

prevtec Pro Tuner

ireland
    Car:
    prelude 2.2vtec jap
    thats what i mean

fast gear changes are good aswell, because the revs dont have time to drop so much, and when you release the clutch pedal, it dont have a lot of revs to make up

3. prevtec

prevtec Pro Tuner

ireland
    Car:
    prelude 2.2vtec jap
    ive had my car now for 18 months but have put 80,000 km on it
    and always hard driving
    and my clutch dosent have the slightest sign of wear

does anyone know if theres a racing type clutch in the prelude
    or am i driving the car properley???

i never have a smell of burned clutch, regardless how i drive

4. Prince

Prince Torque King

Northampton, England
    Car:
    BMW E36 318is Coupe
    I'm the same, I work my car hard when I'm given the opportunity. I think the last time I did an emergency stop was on my test!

How about double clutching with a quick shift? Is it worth it?

5. thexav

thexav Pro Tuner Staff Member

Car:
    2002 Clio 172
    I suppose it would be smoother when you have mastered it and thats got to be a good thing.

6. RapidWagon

RapidWagon Tuner

Car:
    Impreza Wagon Turbo
    Hmm, can't think of a single valid reason for doing this on a public road in a modern car. Only ever used double clutching in circumstances the Constabluary would not approve of.

Heel and toe, I do confess to having used on the road... emergency stops; well I do enough miles that I get to 'practice' more than I would like in the car and on the bike.

7. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    At my age DDC has become a lifetime habit as I learned to drive in cars back then had no syncro on 1st gear and it comes naturally on the road or track.
    Can't see any benefit in DDC on the upchange.
    IMHO it is unfortunate all the modern electronic gizmos are dumbing down driver skill levels and the great majority of drivers ?? motorists seem to regard operating a motor vehicle as something that needs no further training after they get their license.
    FWIW threshold braking will stop a car in a shorter distance than ABS.

Last edited: 6 May 2013