Doing a miss daisy

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you ever drive really carefully and economically like miss daisy?

Does it save enough money to make it worth it?

Personally my car is economical den if I drive with purpose. A small 4 mpg saving is all I can hope for when I granny it but I really don't think it's worth it. Even thrashing it I get 40 mpg!!!!

My last car ranged from 37 to 23 mpg so there was a cost saving there if I was careful.

Do you understand hypermilers?

My Passat rarely drops below 42mpg even driven aggressively. Good job considering the problems I've had and money pumped into it.

To make the point: This thing has cost me more since April 2014 (25,000 miles ago) than I spent on my last three cars going back to 1997 (and I accumulated over 480,000 miles in those three).

Ignoring routine stuff - tyres, pads, discs, servicing, fluids etc...........

It's the least reliable car I have yet owned. Stuff goes wrong constantly. Not so bad if the repairs weren't so expensive. But they are.

I've burnt over £3000 in fixing this Passat since April 2014. And it STILL is NOT WORKING properly.

PS The 528i rarely dropped below 35mpg and that's on petrol, which is a cheaper fuel anyways

I don't granny for fuel purposes but sometimes after a real hard day at work I'm happy just to potter.

HDI mate I do sympathise, I've had cars like that. Get your no claims protected and er, "accidentally" hit a tree? *

*Here at TorqueCars we do not condone insurance fraud. (;->

It hardly seems worth the effort on my car to be honest. Driven like miss-daisy I can get 17.x mpg - driven normally, 15.x. It's shockingly bad regardless of how its driven!

I did manage to get over 20mpg once (just!), on a long cruise to Staffordshire from Kent, mainly on cruise control at 70mph.

Now don't get me wrong, I drive slow especially around town because of the noise the car makes. People and other traffic are already looking my way as I approach them :oops: