Does the R10 Lemans make petrol obsolete.

wizzer

Road Burner
Car
VW Golf 2.0 TDi
Does the audi R10 Lemans make petrol engines obsolete? It would seem that the Torque out drives the BHP of the petrols.

If diesel is so potentially good then why are there still so many new petrol engines in development or are petrol engines just under developed.

Interestingly most drivers took a while to get used to it but they all loved it and it was really easy to turn in fast lap times.

Can you make a compression igniting petrol engine taking the diesel principle and get the best of both worlds.

Why is diesel so Torqueey?

I think petrol has its place for now and the future. Possibly in small, lightweight cars that do short journeys at relatively low speeds.

Diesel still has its problems. The engines need fastidious servicing to remain reliable to high mileages (ie. over 250,000 miles). In some ways diesel's traditional benefits of economy and longevity have been eroded by todays engines. THe fuel economy is still better than a petrol car with similar performance.

CI petrols are uner development by mercedes benz. Apparently they have a 1.8 litre 4 that delivers something like 220bhp without a turbo. WHether it'll ever hit production is another matter.

I think petrol has its place for now and the future. Possibly in small, lightweight cars that do short journeys at relatively low speeds.

Diesel still has its problems. The engines need fastidious servicing to remain reliable to high mileages (ie. over 250,000 miles). In some ways diesel's traditional benefits of economy and longevity have been eroded by todays engines. THe fuel economy is still better than a petrol car with similar performance.

CI petrols are uner development by mercedes benz. Apparently they have a 1.8 litre 4 that delivers something like 220bhp without a turbo. WHether it'll ever hit production is another matter.

Petrol will always have a following. The R10 is an exceptional engine and I'm sure that with some development road cars with similar specced engines will be hitting the streets. It would have cost £1,000,000's to produce and engineer the R10 and as we all know the developments find their way into road cars.

Interesting about the CI petrol - that is quite a power output for a petrol NASP. Wonder what it would be like with a turbo on it.