Does cataclean work and is it any good

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
I'm getting some issues on my emissions and it's looking like the cat is not flowing as well as it was.

So I have all the obvious questions?

Does anyone know anything about Cataclean, is it any good, does it work?

Does cataclean do what it says on the tin and actually clean your catalyst?

How does cataclan work? Are there any other similar products that I should be looking at?

I'm getting some issues on my emissions and it's looking like the cat is not flowing as well as it was.

How does cataclan work? Are there any other similar products that I should be looking at?

Cataclean is an engine cleaner that primarily reduces carbon deposits and removes gum from injectors and the like.

It does work, i've used it in the past, but there are so many similar products for sale and they all work in a similar way, by lowering the burning point of carbon usually by adding Acetone and this raises the octane of petrol giving the car a more powerful feel whilst it's in the tank.

As a fuel cleaner works it burns releasing stuff that dissolves the build up.

Cataclean is endorsed by the RAC and my local MOT test station recommend it when cars fail emissions tests, and it usually helps reach the pass standard after a few days of doing a "turin tune up!"

When you use cataclean warm up the engine and drive it quite hard, but give the stuff time to soak in and do it's work, so treatment is really over the full tank of fuel rather than just a one time shot and go affair.

Last edited:
Yup but even most pump fuels contain acetone in small degrees, however I do wonder what the outcome is when people start adding this in greater quantities to their fuel. I remember back in the day using octane booster, where you paid 10 for basically .50 worth of acetone in a carrier! We were gullible back then!

There are so many products out there all claiming to do the same thing, if it turns out it doesn't and you've ordered it remotely you can at least get a full refund from the seller under UK law.

I personally prefer BG, but haven't tried Cataclean, but it does have a good reputation out there and would be something I would entertain using.

Please let us know your thoughts on it when you've tried it out.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back