Does an LSD make much difference

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
Hi there, sorry another question.

Does a limited slip diff make much difference to a cars handling? Is it just in the wet or does it give benefits in the dry as well?

Is a Torsen diff the same thing as a 2:1? (What do these numbers mean and what do I need for a fast road car?):confused:

:lol: There is always one. Good job you didn't hash things up for us. It smacks of disaster and requires crack concentration, but I should snuff out any references to illicit substances.

An LSD makes a big difference. It is why the Cliosport Megane is so quick on the track. You really need to get that power down and while wheels are spinning up and losing traction you will be slower than you should be.

A torson diff is a torque sensing differential and these apply the power according to wheel slip in a gradual way. Torson diffs are IMHO the best option for a road car, everything is quite subtle and only there when you need it.

If you don't spin up your wheels then a diff is a mute point but if you are having traction issues then get one ASAP!

To take this further what does the locking ratio mean? Mine says 40% but that was for the car when it had 250hp. Now I'm on 330hp would this still be ok? My LSD has bevel gears etc in it so I guess it's mechanical, What's the difference with like the electronic diff on the FWD Focus RS for instance? How does that work? Don't want to hijack your thread Xavier, just thought the experts could expand a little on the thread to help everyone:D

40% should be fine on the road in a RWD car. THey're intrinsically better behaved than any front driver.

The Focus RS is an unusual example and it's a very good exponent of the art of high powered FWD.

40% should be fine on the road in a RWD car. THey're intrinsically better behaved than any front driver.

The Focus RS is an unusual example and it's a very good exponent of the art of high powered FWD.

Thanks HDI, so can you retro fit LSDs to a car. My Golf GT TDI 170 torque steers horridably even with traction control, I guess 258lbft torque is too much for the front wheels to cope with? If I chipped the engine goodness knows what will happen to the tyres.

"Thanks HDI, so can you retro fit LSDs to a car. My Golf GT TDI 170 torque steers horridably even with traction control, I guess 258lbft torque is too much for the front wheels to cope with? If I chipped the engine goodness knows what will happen to the tyres."

I can understand that. My 406 HDi (2.2 model) was remapped and delivered over 320lbft. Which, to be honest, is too much for a FWD car. Torque steer was not a problem so much as terminal understeer.

You will find much the same with your Golf.

I'm surprised, however, that the stability control is not reigning it in effectively. There will always be a small amount of initial slip (after all, the system is called Traction Control, not Idiot Control - although the way some drive round here perhaps this would be a good option ;) ;) ) but the stability management should get a hold of it eventually.

Sadly that might not be before you've torn the sides from a row of parked cars.

FWD is a compromise, basically. I think that's where we're heading

Last edited:
I suppose the traction control does work but it's not a nice sensation really to drive. It just doesn't seem to take much to provoke the system to cut in. As you say FWD design is not ideal for high torque/power cars. Zippy little Twingo133 or Fiat 500 Abarth maybe as Top Gear were kind of showing on one of Dave's reruns today when they were trying to show 'RWD is best' in there 3 stooges comical kind of way. I'll be sure to stick to my 944 when I want to have a blast I think.

I think you're right. Traction control does work well to wind in the excess. But it can be intrusive; sometimes it can even be obstructive.

The very best of stability systems (Aston Martin and Jaguar have got this down to a fine are in high end current models) are very discreet in operation.

You can even select a sport driving mode which allows some torque over available grip excess. Nissan's Skyline had a similarly sophisticaed system.

Designed to flatter your driving, and it worked. Cost is the problem.