Do you need shrouds or projector lenes when fitting after market hid xenon headlights

hough

Road Burner
Car
VW T5 swb 2.5tdi
Hi im trying to find if you need to find shrouds and or projector lenes when installing after market hid xenon headlight kits, or if you need to modify the headlights in any way, or are these kits legal as they are???? i really hope this makes sense

i

I

Re: Do you need shrouds or projector lenes when fitting after market hid xenon headli

Basically, you need to change the whole headlamp if you want to be legal:

In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern. - Department for Transport (2006)

This is taken from the Department of Transport's information Sheet on aftermarket HID headllamps and can be read in full here:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives....ormation-sheets/aftermarket-hid-headlamps.pdf

Re: Do you need shrouds or projector lenes when fitting after market hid xenon headli

Basically, you need to change the whole headlamp if you want to be legal:

In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern. - Department for Transport (2006)

This is taken from the Department of Transport's information Sheet on aftermarket HID headllamps and can be read in full here:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives....ormation-sheets/aftermarket-hid-headlamps.pdf

Opinions (even those of the Dft) form no part of law, I read the whole paper a couple of years ago.

DfT's paper is meaningless really. If beam pattern and alignment are correct then I cannot see how a conversion would be unlawful. Yes, auto levelling must work if it's there and washing must work if it's there.

THat said, Ive seen a multitude of poor aftermarket HID converiosns

Last edited:

Could a conventional Halogen headlamp be converted or modified to make it legal, as in if the unit was painted black and or a shield or projector lenes fitted?

Let's not over use the word illegal. The DfT paper forms no part of law. The opening statement is thus:

"In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon"

Further, the paper states that the beam pattern will not be correct.
From which I draw this .... if the beam pattern IS correct then it's not unlawful to fit HiD lights to Halogen enclosures.

Grey area

Last edited:

So can you use these kits as they are or do you need other bits and do you need to modify the original headlights to make the kits work properly???

My experience with my 528i (projector dipped beams 9006/HB4 fitment) is that they worked perfectly as a conversion.

Razor sharp cut off and perfect alignment.

The car did have washers and self levelling as well

IM looking at getting 2 sets one low beam and a high beam both with angel eyes, just trying to make my mind up on what grade to go for 4,5 or 6k

Hids just dazzle unless they are in projectors. The law is unclear and it will often be down to the discrection of the mot tester. Imo 6k is too blue and makes it really noticeable that your hids are not factory

Yes, don't go above 5000k. OEM is 4300k.

You can buy shielded HiD burners for fitment in reflector enclosures, whether these work properly I have no idea. There are cars out there with OEM reflector HiDs. Volvo, Renault and Honda are examples.

Personally I wouldn't fit HIDs unless you have washers fitted and working.

Don't bother with high beam HIDs, the startup time is too slow for this application.

Factory HID mains use motorised shields in the dipped enclosure to achieve a main beam. They also have halogen main beams fitted to enable headlight flash function when the dips are turned off.

If your car's beam pattern and alignment are correct then the MoT tester will pass your car. They are NOT allowed to disassemble the car.

Iv seen projector on ebay but only from china, but are these any good and what colour would you recommend?

BMW E90 330d in silver

Don't bother with the import ones - go to HIDS4U.CO.UK and get the CANBUS Pro kit.

One thing to note with aftermarket hids is if you fit them to light units not originally designed for them you can suffer from condensation. HID bulbs run much cooler than normal bulbs and just don't burn away the moisture.

You might be best actually going for new headlamp units, with projectors, as fitting the HIDS will be far easier on the units if they're outside the car. You can mount the ballast properly and make sure the units are properly sealed against condensation.

Make sure your lenses are glass as plastic ones melt :)

I fitted HIDs to my 528 pre facelift. HB4/9006 fitment. Took about 30 seconds to install each bulb. Of all cars I've owned it was by far the easiest to work on. Ballasts took about 5 mins each, hardest job was peeling off the backing paper from the sticky foam pads.