Do you need power to have fun

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
When it comes to driving a car do you need to have lots of power to have fun?

I recall my early cars, a 1.3 Nova for example. That could be driven on the edge and it was fun. There wasn't much grip or power and it would slide around as you fought for control. It felt like an engaging drive.

Now in my A3 which has great handling and loads of grip I can't recall the last time I lost traction or got anywhere near the limits of grip.

It's probably running at 2-3 times the power of my Nova.

I still enjoy driving it but if I'm honest I think I had more fun in the early days with my Nova or perhaps it's just rose tinted spectacles.

Well if you think about it way back there were x ply tyres on skinny rims that had far less grip than the current basic radial tyres have now so the cars would get loose and move about at lower speeds.
FYI they didn't have wooden spokes on my first car ;)

You can have a lot of fun in a low powered car which has limited grip. In fact I think you can sometimes have more power when your in a light low grip low power car. It certainly helps you hone your driving skills.

One can still have fun on a track or closed road in a low powered car by exploring the car and drivers limits at slower speeds than a hi powered car. For instance just yesterday I was competing in an event where I needed to brake for a chicane whereas the low powered cars negotiated them at similar and possibly faster without lifting off the gas.

The MX5 would be the quintessential car for proving you can have a lot of fun in a low powered car. Do miss mine occasionally, especially when the sun comes out.

I know it may sound silly :oops: but one of the best cars I ever drove for road holding and outright fun was an old Mini 1275 GT. Horsepower for the car was similar to my heater blower on the SAAB :lol: but what pure unadulterated fun that car was <B

I can relate to that. It's got that go cart handling and as it's light a good power to weight ratio.

The MX5 would be the quintessential car for proving you can have a lot of fun in a low powered car. Do miss mine occasionally, especially when the sun comes out.
The mx5 is a fine car. I see so many of these on the drifting tracks. Perhaps the RWD makes the difference.