Do you LOVE your diesel

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I'm still struggling to LOVE my diesel car. It's fine, goes well, pulls well but for me petrol just feels so much nicer?

Anyone else struggling to love diesel? Are there people out there who are struggling to love petrol?

Love my diesel 4x4 dual/crew cab Colorado(Isuzu DMax) auto as it gets 9.5-10 liutres/100k around town and tows my Starion to the track and other events.
It has a canopy over the load tray and I sleep in it when I enter and camp @ 2 day events. It has 90000 k's on the odo and have been told it has to last me until the men in white coats take me away LOL

Driven diesel for so long when i drive ordinary petrols they just feel revvy and gutless. Loved the 3.2 petrol siggie i had but the rubbish mpg depressed me.

Bmw 535d auto or similar 300bhp diesel would probably be all the car i needed. Auto gets rid of the one annoyance of diesels-short power bands so lots of gear changes

I'm afraid I'd still like my ST back. I miss the pure bhp and torque and I miss manual gears too. This one goes well for its size and weight etc and IS saving me many pounds on the fuel expense but it just isn't fun. The acceleration, speed, handling, none of it's the same :( Never mind in a year or two I'll be on the look out for something mental I think. It'll save me a few quid for now and it's comfortable and quiet so 'every cloud' and all that

I agree, low capacity petrols with no turbo do feel spineless compared to decent turbo diesels. This Passat I've just bought is phenomenally torquey, makes the 528i feel dead by comparison (til you kick it down the box whereupon it comes alive. But the VW engines aren't the silkiest of four cylinder diesels, around town it is a bit rumbly.

Can't wait to get Celtic Tuning to remap my Golf tdi170. Took it for a reasonable run down some twisting roads today and acceleration is excellent but the whole noise and sensation it delivers is very dull.

Yeah, six cylinders is my preference with any configuration but at the moment budgetary constraints limit me to four.

The TDi PD engine in my Passat is not the silkiest of four cylinder diesels anyway, later Common Rail units are much better in terms of low speed refinement.

But the PD has its virtues, superbly economical and it's rapid. Shame the accelerator response curve is about as progressive as a bazooka.

good news , diesel car sales,USA have increased by 25% in just a year.

pickup trucks sales up by 30%, all is good.

my personal choice would be an AUDI Q7 SUV,(V12 twin turbo),Quattro.
rumor is they can get 30MPG US gallon, driving lightly, but how does one drive 500HP lightly?

and a remap makes it a beast, 650hp 850ft.lbs.

Last edited:
There is something magical about the way a high powered diesel delivers its performance. Very different from a petrol engine with similar BHP and similar performance.

After driving my old 306 which had bags of torque after I tuned it up I did miss the sheer power delivery as it was brutal, I then had my little ZR which was nippy for a 1.4 and went very well but I missed the the torque. My R56 Cooper S is sensationally torquey. 2nd gear pull pins you in the seat and it just keeps pulling. Even in 6th gear going up hills is effortless. Still, I retain some decent mpg.

to be honest , Petrols are easier to tune and upgrade , pretty hard to find experts on Diesel tuning and such .. but then again smoking a petrol with a 2 ton Diesel suv is just magical and lets not forget the Mpg .. to summ it up do i love my Diesel vehicle ? hell yeah no Petrol in the category comes close to it in my opinion