Do you like big wheels

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Are you a big fan of big wheels? What is the largest wheel size you would put on your car and why?

I will stick at 17inches and ultra low profile tyres. I think anything over this looks too big and it messes up the handling too much for my liking!;)

I think it depends on what car you have and also if it actaully needs big wheels. I had to change mine from 15s up to 17s just purly to help get grip in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and sometimes 4th. Now with the newer wheels it hardly loses grip in 1st.

No big wheels look stupid full stop imo. You don't need bigger wheels for better grip, you need WIDER wheels and/or a better tyre compound. If you look most GOOD wheel manufacturers (OZ, Compomotive etc) make small but wide wheels like 15x7 and 18x10 etc etc so you can get wider wheels without making your car look stupid and increasing your rolling radius by 10 million.

On the right car yes. Mondeo's, for example on 18" rims (factory option) look great.

But fit the same ones on a fiesta with tiny little brakes (and drums at the rear!!) they look positivley stupid

As said really I wouldn't put massive wheels on most of the cars I've owned but if I had the extra cash I'd slap a set of 19's on the cab just because it's a posing mobile.

just as a general rule bigger the car then can suite bigger wheels without it effecting the looks. for example the top end luxury mercs etc. can get away with 19" wheels and possibly bigger, but as said above try to ram these sizes of wheels on small shopping karts just looks ridiculous,

The wheel arches on the GTO are massive, you could smuggle five families through customs at Dover in each one and no-one would notice. With 17" rims and standard ride height it just looks stupid. I put coil over suspension on to tighten up the handling and lowered it, it also has adjustable rear camber control arms. When i bought the Rotora 355 front discs i needed something to fit over them, decent 18" rims that would clear weren't available then so i found some 19's that would fit.
I'm now in the process of finding a new set of alloys, they will be 19's again but it's an awful task finding the combination of, ones i like, that fit, are the size i want with the correct offset and don't look out of place on the car and of course aren't on 50 other GTO's. I may have to compromise somewhere.
The downside to going up in rim diameter is coming down in tyre profile, which handles better on good roads but you can feel every bump, ripple and deviation in the road surface, which over here in the good old U.K. is rather constant.
I do know of a couple of people with 20" rims on their GTO's but the tyres have the profile of a rubber band. They do look good though.
If i remember, i'll put up a phot later of mine.

Ok i do and i dont on my car i dont i just have normal 16s on it for the track and that is it i think any bigger it would look awful with the look i am going for and to be honest i dont think the handling would be much crack lol!!

But all cars are different my truck has a huge set of alloys on it lol....

all done to the style of the car and what you are after look wise and what you use it for.

on 370z's and g37 i like big chrome wheels but everything else it really depends if it had big wheels it still has to sit low and around the wheels like on the 370z but for the most part ide say 16-17 matte

Big wheels are stupid. The best wheel for most cars are 17's. They are the best compromise between handling and acceleration. It can depend on the car. For example, on a muscle car, 17's up front and smaller ones in the the back for big drag slicks! Yeah!:eek:

i am running 18"x8" alloys with 235x40 x18 tyres the rolling radius is the same as the origional 205x60x16 tyres but the 18's allow me to use better handling tyres the handling is considerably better than standard.