Do you hold the handle at fuel pumps

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Ok then, do you hold the handle at fuel pumps when filling up or do you use the lock button that most have and just leave the nozzle in your fuel tank filler until it auto shuts off?

I don't think many people realise that modern pumps have the little lock button on them - did you?

They still have the lock button but I have yet to find one that hasn't been disabled.

They still have the lock button but I have yet to find one that hasn't been disabled.

x2

In fact, so paranoid are some petrol stations about filling up - Shell and BP in Beckton east London as an example, that between certain hours the pumps will only dispense a certain amount of super unleaded in case you disappear without paying. You then have to pay for your petrol in stages just to fill the tank :blink:

Same, I'm never in that much of a rush, I am happy to hold the handle. I have noticed some Shell stations that auto shut off if you hold the trigger completely down. The one on the A13 does this.... It's annoying having to hold the trigger at half way, only then to squeeze a tad too hard and it cuts off.

That could be due to holding the nozzle too far into the filler neck. Pumps are designed to cut off when the smaller of the two tubes that make up the nozzle gets blocked by fuel. This is how it knows whe the fuel tank is full.

However, if you have a slow filling tank fuel can back up and block this tube, shutting the pump off. Fuel delivery flow can vary which would explain why it only happens at certain stations.

Tbh I've never took the time to examine the nozzle!
So I just hold the handle

There's not a lot to see at the nozzle end :) The disabled trigger lock is (if I remember) at the rear of the trigger (the end nearest you).