Do Mods improve value?

bigbadjoe

Pro Tuner
Car
Evo 8 @ 400bhp
I have been doing a little looking, and it appears that on my sort of car, mods seem to put the price of the car up.

Is this the case with most cars, or would you say it put the price down.

Mine for example.

-Stainless exhaust straight off the turbo
-D-Cat
-Upgraded exhaust elbow
-Larger turbo housing
-Walbrow 255 fuel pump
-HKS pannel air filter
-HKS dump valve
-HKS turbo timer
-HKS EVC (boost controller)
-Re-mapped to around 350bhp (by idigo GT)

Id value my motor around £9500. Perfect exteerior, Perfect wheels (as just been re-sprayed) Perfect inteerior. Showroom condition. 51000 miles. UK model.

Where as there is a standard one, with nothing done to it going for £8500 on autotrader. With 60000 miles.

I think a lot of owners are doing some wishful thinking when they inflate the prices of cars. I know they have invested a lot of time and money but you rarely get anywhere near as much back at sale time.

Sensible mods are expected, boy racer mods will put people off a mile away. The service history and nice big bag of reciepts really helps.

I don't think they add too much extra value but they may make it easier to sell to a particular buyer.

I'd consider a modded car if it had the mods I would have done myself.

Well I am under no illusions with regards to the value of my car, to me it is absolutely priceless, but if it were to be presented on a Glasses Guide or something, I think it would get just the book valuation, maybe a bit more if the buyer was feeling generous!

Depends on the car and buyer I think. Something like an Evo with a few choice mods will be worth more to, say, a member of the MLR than a bog standard one. On the other hand, something rare and classic can easily be devalued by not being standard, in Ford circles especially.

Modded FRS don't tend to sell for any more than un-modded ones of the same mileage and condition.

over here in ireland mods hold there value far better that standard motor. men just wont take the loss wen it comes to selling the car, aslong as shes not dog'd. if she straight shel sell, if she not she wont.