Do learner drivers bother you much

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I was recently stuck behind a learner driver for a while. I think they must have been pretty new. Kangaroo starts, waiting for a totally clear road before moving off, wide berth of the parked cars etc...

I could see the guy behind me was getting pretty wound up by it but I didn't. I remember what it was like learning, we all have to start somewhere and the last thing they need is someone flashing their lights or trying a risky overtake manoever.

What are your thoughts on learner drivers? Do they wind you up or do you approach it more philosophically?

they are still learning, we all were at that stage at one point or another. Bad driving without the L plates is my annoyance.

im same as miniman,been their so know what its like,so stay back.Hated it when i was learning and some idiots tallgated me.So i no how it feels.

some times i get wound up e.g. 30mph on a 60mph road but its the instructors i blame not the learners. they really should not let them drive on those sort of roads before they are ready !!
the same as the other day i had right of way and this learner still preceded to try and pass the parked car on his side of the road so i purposely moved over to be awkward. and he had to stop to let me pass so i stop next to him and hurl some verbal abuse at the instructor. because it is the instructor who has the final say and he must have told his student to go and he couldnt even look at me.

but if i see a learner doing the legal speed limit, stall, reversing round a corner a 3 point turn i have all the patience in the world and will quite happily leave a wide gap

in most cases im fine with them, round here they are kept to the very quiet roads until they are confident about travilling at posted speeds. i was always told to get the speed up as quickly as possible.
if i have someone doing 30 in a 60 theyll get passed learner or not if they stall ill wait, weve all been there and done it. christ a know a guy thas stalled an auto

We all had to learn at some stage and i'm absolutely certain that the majority of us weren't zooming around at 60/70 m.p.h after a few lessons.
I was very lucky and like others in that profession learnt the basics of gear change, clutch control, braking etc etc in a military camp before being let loose on the highways of Devon.
To be honest, i have no idea of how driving is taught nowadays but i have always felt that there should be huge centres where pupils are taught the basics before being allowed out on the road, much the same as my first sessions at Bickliegh Barracks way back when i was considerably younger than now :bigsmile:.
Give them some space, leave a large gap if you're behind them on a hill or enough space to pass anywhere else and think back to how perfect you must all have been. ;)

some schools now do a young drivers sceme which gets them out onto a disused area, our use an old ww2 airfield, to learn the basics and some classroom work as well

I agree we were all learners once, so I'm always patient. However, what I don't like is seeing a lot of driving schools using my local supermarket car park as a training site & I'm not on about a couple of cars more like six or seven at a time. But that's not the learners fault. :amuse:

Im very tolerant and happy to give them all the leeway they need until it comes to 15 in a 30 or 30 in a 60. Annoying whether they have L plates or not but I agree that they shouldnt be on the road yet unless theyre able to drive comfortably at the speed limit. My instructor was always on at me to 'make progress'

not at all, some learner drivers are better than qualified drivers
if learner drivers are taking the piss, id get annoyed, id also be the same towards qualified drivers

I tend to see Leaners are better drivers than some of the idiots on the roads around here. The pass rate for my area is 21% so you have to be a pretty good driver. Learners dont bother me.

Being 17 and currently learning to drive (got my 3rd lesson monday) i have to admit that most road users are very tolerable to learners, the ones i dislike are the ones in company cars with thier bluetooth tusk wearing a cheap suit and people of my own age who passed a month before and insist on sitting up my backside with thier mates in the back with thier factory ICE sytem blaring out such tinny bass its unbelieveable.

I was on the road in my first lesson and felt very comfortable in the car, didnt stall the car and i was always up to the speed limit as quickly as i could even in a 40 zone.

In my second lesson the instructor decided to take me down country roads, with it only being wide enough for one car i had 'fun' steering clear of the road users stated above. I stalled once on this ocassion at a set of red lights on a slight hill (didnt give enough revs) and the nice lady behind didnt worry one bit just sat thier waiting for me patiently which is nice to see as a learner as the last thing i want is to panic.

Overall i think i will have a goood appreciation of learner drivers as long as they dont go 10 in a 30 even i dont do that and i only have 1 and a half hours driving experience!

Learners don't cause me concern if they're under professional instruction. Clearly, you have to give them space and time in which to complete their manoeuvre.

Just hold back at a good distance as you would in any situation and wait until it's safe to pass. Then proceed to do so swiftly and safely. Swift is important, don't linger on the 'wrong' side of the road needlessly. Get on with it. This might well mean exceeding the speed limit for a few seconds. If you've planned your move properly then you won't be taking any risks by breaking the speed limit.

The official, official, very official line is that you must NOT exceed the speed limit when overtaking.

My opinion is that quicker is safer - currently serving Police Class 1 license holders will concur, even if they give you the official 'line' firstly.