DIY Superchargers and Turbos

TutlarAce06

Car
WRX
I am not a mechanic, I do know my basics and am looking to have a project as I go through mechanic school, I'm not starting till next fall but would like to start working on it soon. It will help me learn more. But, I need to know if I choose a car that a turbo charger would be great for like a 240 if I can install and tune myself without needing a dyno. The same would go for the super charger. Do I need special tools or equipment to get the job done or do most supers and turbos come with a basic ecu flash to get everything working?

I do know I need a dyno to get a perfect custom tune. I'm asking a a DIY car enthusiast.

You cant do a proper turbo installation without a full map which means a mapable ecu.
An apexi power fc can be mapped as a diy and they are plug and play. But........

You need to know what you are doing and it is unlikely to be close to what can be done on a dyno

Also it isnt just bolt on a turbo there is far more to it than that.

I have decided to take on a 240 as my project, that being said I understand that an engine rebuild is a good idea to start with those cars. If you have any advice on systems I should or should not implement on a vehicle like that please let me know. Putting a turbo in that would be really expensive so I would want to just get it turbo ready and drive-able until I can afford to put a turbo in it. So I would be working on systems like small engine upgrades to be able to take the turbo pressures, exhaust, body and paint, suspension, rims, brakes, transmission and the diff. If you know of any helpful advice or someone that could mentor me on my build (someone I can personally message) that would be extremely helpful and greatly appreciated. Thank you for the current help as well.

Greetings TutlarAce06 and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!

Good to have you along with us :)

I have decided to take on a 240 as my project, that being said I understand that an engine rebuild is a good idea to start with those cars. If you have any advice on systems I should or should not implement on a vehicle like that please let me know. Putting a turbo in that would be really expensive so I would want to just get it turbo ready and drive-able until I can afford to put a turbo in it. So I would be working on systems like small engine upgrades to be able to take the turbo pressures, exhaust, body and paint, suspension, rims, brakes, transmission and the diff. If you know of any helpful advice or someone that could mentor me on my build (someone I can personally message) that would be extremely helpful and greatly appreciated. Thank you for the current help as well.

A NA motor may not have the internals that are up to the strength needed to withstand the higher combustion pressures that are the result of cramming in more air which results in higher compression than the pistons static CR .
So do it once and do it right with no shortcuts and have the crank chemically cleaned,crack tested and all journals linished,block cleaned,bored and torque plate honed to match new forged pistons plus forged rods for starters as well as all parts balanced.