DIY Bio Diesel explosion.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
A man blew himself up in his garage making biodiesel. He had used oil from a local takeway which he was mixing up with the other components of bio diesel and the drill he was using caused a spark which ignited the fumes.

He is in hospital and quite seriously burned. SO BE WARNED. Even bio diesel fumes can be explosive if not mixed correctly.

I did say some months back on here that biodiesel is nothing like the nice, cuddly, stuff it's made out to be. Let's hope that this bloke recovers fully and rapidly.

As far as I'm concerned Gordon Brown can accept a share of the blame for this for having made conventional fuel so bloody expensive.

Biodiesel is perfectly safe as long as its made properly But you do have to deal with some nasty chemicals to make it (methanol,pottassium hydroxide/sodium hydroxide, isoprop alcohol and acetone) i have been making it for a while now and have run a citroen xsara hdi on it and now a peugeot 406 mechanical diesel one word of warning be carful with common rail diesels no prob with the rail but some fuel pumps need petroleum diesel to lubricate seals and will die but it is cheap it cost me 40 pence a litre to make and you do not have to pay duty on it for the first 2500 litres you make

I have the 2.2 HDi and it's not bio compatible because of the particle filter. Also, the rail pressure is about 1300bar so I'll stick with the safe stuff.

No - the particle filter is in the exhaust upstream of the cat converter. Peugeot only fitted them on the 2.2 HDi engines. It removes soot from the exhaust stream.

THe problem with bio is the cerium based fuel borne catalyst is not compatible with B100 for some reason or other and causes premature clogging of the particle filter. THe cerium compound lowers the soot burn off temperature so that it ignites during the filter regeneration cycle. These filters are ridiculously complicated - to my mind it's a step too far.