Difference between an experienced driver

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I was wondering what you see as the main differences between an experienced driver and an inexperienced one...

The obvious big one is anticipation, the ability to predict what will happen on the road ahead before it happens.

There are probably lots of other little things though so what do you see as the main differences between an experienced and inexperienced driver.

Well, given events recently, dangerous overtaking is a biggie. There was a 6-person fatality local to me a couple of years ago, and from the sounds of things, another one on Boxing Day 2010.

That also accounted for the smash I came across at work a couple of months back, young driver in a hatch had come flying down to a roundabout, found a line of traffic and tried to jump the queue, only to suffer a blow-out and cause a 4-car smash.

Part of it as well is knowing the limits of the driver *and* the car.

The obvious big one is anticipation, the ability to predict what will happen on the road ahead before it happens.

This. A thousand times: this. Too many people drive staring at the back of the car in front of them and nothing else, so they have no idea when that car is likely to brake or change direction.

It's related, but I think the ability to gauge the speed of oncoming traffic is a big one too; that and knowing the capabilities of your car in various conditions (dry, rain, snow etc). Inexperienced drivers seem to have problems with both; they have problems knowing when to pull out of junctions and when to overtake as a result.

The first time it snowed after I passed my driving test I went and found an empty carpark around midnight to learn to drive in the snow and learn the capabilities of my car. I'm glad I did that instead of trying to learn in heavy traffic.

I think negligence is one of the biggest things. Every country that I have been in where automatics are the norm, all seem to have dents and smashes on them. (no matter what age they are), and I believe this is due to being board, and therefore negligent.

You can be over observant, but staying aware of what is around you is key to driving safely.

You see people driving at 40 mph, seat bolt upright, gripping the steering wheel like it was there last life line and never moving there head from the road view position. They might say they are careful drivers, but I disagree. I'd say they are scared drivers and need to relax a little and take note of there rear view mirror, side mirrors and maybe look around a bit more to spot hazards.

On the other side of the coin, you have someone who is too relaxed, seat right back, overtaking without even checking mirrors and not paying attention to road signs for danger.

When I get into a car with someone, I can tell straight away what sort of driver they are. I'm not perfect, we all have our flaws, but sometimes the drivers who have been driving 10+ years are still not EXPERIENCED.

On radio 4 the other day an interesting fact was that 80% of drivers believe they are above average.....which is of course impossible

On radio 4 the other day an interesting fact was that 80% of drivers believe they are above average.....which is of course impossible
so true its only 79% that are:lol:

daft question really:p an experienced driver is someone with experience. no matter how good or bad they are they wil still be an experienced driver;)

imo a good driver is someone who carry's on learning after there lessons/test, be it through good or bad experiences if they keep on learning they will become a great driver (like me:amuse:)

Waynne and BBJ, think you've hit it on the head, imo. Anticipation and Observation. Driving in Vietnam is great for observation, you need 100 sets of eyes as their are just so many people and various 'vehicles' driving around that are apt to do something stupid right in front of you that you are forever trying to watch everything. The issue i have coming back to the UK if when driving on the dual carriageway i start to get very nervous when i see someone waiting to cross - in Vietnam they would drive straight in front of you regardless of what speed you are doing but in the UK people tend to 'usually' wait for an appropriate space.

I can't agree enough with anticipation, observation, and awareness. Other then that I'd say IMO a basic general knowledge of ALL types of vehicles is important so the driver not only knows the capacity and abillity of there own car but the vehicles around them and there potential and restrictions. I believe this information (if properly taken into concideration while driving) would greatly aid in anticipaion and adaptabillity thus increasing the drivers experience.