difference between a Boy Racer and a Car enthusiast

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Whats the difference between a Boy Racer and a Car enthusiast?

I think there is a fine line between being a boy racer and car enthusiast and just wondered what you all thought.

Age aside (you can still get old boy racers though!) how would you define the difference?

A car enthusiast is someone who loves and cherished their car, usually onstantly modding it and making it more personal.

A boy racer is someone who buys a car from an enthusiast that has alreaddy been modded and proceeds to destroy it.

I dont think that you can put some one in one specific group. You can be a bit of both.

I have to disagree with fingers, my mate modded his rover from the ground up and bought it completley stock. And he loves racing through the country roads.

So would you say that the difference is more down to experience and attitude than the amount or time spent on the car?

The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys. :wink:

I'd say it was entirely down to attitude. I have never known a proper enthusiast to to tear around at warp 9 just for the sake of it, wheel spinning (or to be more precise giving a little chirp as their 1.0 nova cant do any better) at every available opportunity and bouncing thier car off curbs, speed bumps and pot holes in the process.

An enthusiast while usually not a slow driver, doesnt try to kill their car by holding it in 2nd gear so it screams all the way up the high street. An enthsiast treats their car with respect as they are enthusiastic about it and usually have piled loads of hard earnt cash ito it to make it what it is, thus not wanting to destroy it.

I know its a bit of a generalisation but thats waht I think so there. :p

Oh, and I think I am a bit of both. In true "Dukes" style my car is always off the road because I have cooked something. :rolleyes: But always gets back to the road very quickly in better shape than it ever was since I've had it.

fingers said:
Ah but is he distroying it in the process? And does he go hammering through town ripping the front bib off at every speed bump?

Nah dont tend to get speed bumps on country roads. Erm generally hes quite safe on the roads and isnt destrong his car.

Boy racers can be type cast. Generally they will run fairly modest machinery in the Corsa/Clio mould with mods to make it noisy and visible. That's very different to an enthusiast who will start with a capable, lively car and then maximise that capability and performance. I like the Q-car thing, totally standard from the outside but goes like a guided missle.