Diesels not catching on

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I wonder why Diesels have not caught on in countries like the USA and Canada?

Are they getting more popular? What about in your area - do you see more diesels around than you used to?

They say because of their clean air law which makes diesel fuel much more expensive than petrol.

Here in the Philippines, Diesel is cheaper by 25% from premium petrol so most public vehicles use diesel. Taxis usually convert their petrol engines to run on LPG.

I don't think many places sell the fuel. Diesels are still used mainly for agriculture and if you drive something with a burbly v8 why would you ever want to switch to a diesel?

A burbly V8 diesel sound mixed with a pair of turbos screaming at 250,000rpm and 1000lbft of torque is tempting.

For a long time it was a no brainer. Petrol was superior in all ways except economy. No longer the case and diesel is appearing across America.

Up until recently you could not but a diesel car at all in California due to local legislation.

Actually the rough running of diesel engine forces the customer of passenger car segment to go for a gasoline one, despite of having low cost on fuel, greater fuel economy...besides the initial investment is high. Though, now in India, plenty of people are buying diesel demons as the jerky running due to diesel 'knock' is quite improved by introducing the CRDI in every car that are coming in...

The 325d, 330d, 335d, 525d, 530d and 535d all use the same 2993cc straight six engine.

It is radically different to your tds - the only things they really have in common is that the are both six cylinder engines and they are both fed diesel.

You probably could fit a different turbo but controlling it will be a problem. Also, the IDI system on your car will not be able to take full advantage of the additional available boost pressure.

Personally I'd accept it for what it is, which is the best 6 cyl diesel in its time and one which still stacks up well now. You could still remap it to 175bhp though and this will stoke the torque up to about 240lbft.

im saving for celtic tuning paul, what internals will need changing or would i be better off doing before it ?
cluth to handle the extra torque, larger brakes cause i do loike to stop in time lol !!!!

im saving for celtic tuning paul, what internals will need changing or would i be better off doing before it ?
cluth to handle the extra torque, larger brakes cause i do loike to stop in time lol !!!!

You'll be fine in standard spec for that car, although you can never have too much braking power in my opinion.

The amount of torque involved is not outrageous so the stock clutch will be fine.

It's a great car. A remap will see over 500lbft at the flywheel. I'm surprised that the mandatory six-spd auto doesn't simply turn its ATF into a black overheated foaming mass.

Mazda plan to bring a diesel to america,

it will be the 2.2 twin turbo which is Peugeot engine,
Peugeot's were fased out in the USA after the 405, if I every moved to the USA I would try and find one, or a merc 300sd

I remember a while back reading that Americans just don't like diesel. They don't like the smell of it, it's dirty, you need to wear a hand condom when fill up at the pump, the engines are noisy. Plus we are spoiled with paying half of what main land Europe pays for petrol. It may never catch on.

European makers have invested heavily in diesel engine development in a way that American makers haven't.

American domestic diesel cars are still unrefined in a way that ours were twenty years ago.

Americans do find new things strange to them,

hell they still use pushrod V8's and leaf springs so a common rail diesel is going to be beyond them.

Americans do find new things strange to them,

hell they still use pushrod V8's and leaf springs so a common rail diesel is going to be beyond them.

I try not to generalise - there are plenty throughout Europe who still despise diesel cars but have yet to drive one.

So the Americans are not alone in that respect. It's just that it's a big and wealthy country - therefore there are more people there to form and subsequently to express opinions in public.

I remember a conversation 3-4 years ago I had at the BP filling station in Buckingham.

I was filling a Mondeo 2.2 ST TDCi with diesel. He approached me and asked - "Why diesel, what's the attraction?".

My response - "Good blend of torquey driving feel and reasonable economy".

He: "Even at my age, I would never 'ave a diesel - I still like a bit of performance under me' right toe."

Guess what he was driving ..... A 1.2 litre Corsa - talk about prejudice.

Well done mate, because I would have been easily wound at that and would have added a few choice words. Unfortunatly that is the kind of person I am.

Guess what he was driving ..... A 1.2 litre Corsa - talk about prejudice.

More like ignorance.

I wish America would catch on and at least start offering some of the great diesels that Europe has. I am heading back next year and wanted to buy a new 520d only to find out that its not available. So I guess I am going to have to break down and buy an RS4. Its just not fair.

Well done mate, because I would have been easily wound at that and would have added a few choice words. Unfortunatly that is the kind of person I am.

I did break his collar bone and stoved in the lights of his car

only kidding - I'm not of a violent disposition. I just let him follow me out of the garage and when we hit the A422 I squeezed my toes ever so gently onto that right pedal in 3rd gear and left him as a tiny spec in mirror very very swiftly.

The 535d is available there now but I somehow doubt it'll match the 520d's frugality

I took a look and could only find the 335d for sale for the 2011 models. So now I am looking at a '11 Jetta Sportswagon. The VW will most likely be driven by my wife and I will and up with another 90's era Jap sports car, which I love.

But the Jetta looks nice. 140 bhp 235tq (I think) turbo 4, with their DSG trans. I like the cornsilk Leatherette interior. My wife wants to know if she can have DVD screens fitted in the headrests for the chitlins.