Diesel tuning

Phillh90

Car
Focus 1.8 tdci
Hi guys,
I'm stuck with a stock 1.8 tdci focus.
I want to make it sound and perform better.
What can you recommend.
Thanks

Hi and welcome to TC forums.
@Yugguy is your Ford man but basic upgrade will be a remap. Diesels aren't the best sounding engines but you can try changing the exhaust if you want. Plenty of custom fabricators around who can tune the system to how you want and do the remap at same time. Costs will vary on complexity and mapper but budget for £ 600-800 for full works. Just note the exhaust change, unless you're deleting a dpf, wont be giving any major power upgrade just sound so decide if it's worth the money otherwise a remap on its own is around £200

I was a Ford man aye.

I got my 1.8TDCI 115bhp remapped to 140bhp by midland remaps. Quick job. Generic map for 150 quid cos I didnt do any other work. Nice increase in midrange torque.

I was a Ford man aye.

I got my 1.8TDCI 115bhp remapped to 140bhp by midland remaps. Quick job. Generic map for 150 quid cos I didnt do any other work. Nice increase in midrange torque.
Thanks. Clearly a remap is the best starting point.

If I remember you can't go that far past 140bhp on those engines without upgrading the turbo. The basic engine is strong and can handle more but it's the turbo.

Just wondering is remapping and removing dpf not illegal in the UK?
Dpf delete is illegal but at the time this post was first written there was no real way of detecting the delete at mot time so people would take the risk just like in the old petrol cat delete days. Just recently there is news a new soot level detection test is being introduced to the mot test which will make it virtually impossible to hide the illegal delete.