Torque Cars

diesel starting problems

Discussion in '5 Series' started by Philpot, 30 December 2007.

1. Philpot

Philpot Newbie

I'm having problems with my 525 D. its 5 yrs old and done 100k mostly on motorways. suddenly having trouble starting especially when its hot. its been serviced regly and runs ok when it goes.
    had a basic diagnostics check which indicates "low rail pressure when cranking". Told could be pressure regulator or fuel pump or something else!
    Anyone had similar experience? , before I ring the Dealer and take out another mortgage!!

2. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    Find a non BMW dealer - they should be able to help you at a fraction of the cost. I wouldn't have thought low rail pressure would only manifest itself when hot. Perhaps the pressure regulator is siezing when the engine is warm. Where are you based - we might know some BMW friendly garages in your area.

Are there any oil/air leaks?

3. fingers

fingers Torque Master

North Essex
    We have had quite a few KIA diesels in at work recently, all with 2.5+ engines in them with problems with poor starting. They have all had varied mileage, one had only done 7,000. A new diesel filter seemed to cure it.

obi_waynne likes this.
  4. pgarner

pgarner TC ModFather Moderator

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    if its only when its hot it sounds to me like a sensors been fried
    the fuel pump and reg are used all the time so cant see how it could be them

5. steve_e45

steve_e45 New member

Plymouth, UK
    hey i would go with changing the filter 1st off if that doesent work, check to see if you have a water seperator aswell not really sure if they fit these to cars though. then start looking into fuel pump regulator etc u should be-able to do it yourself i dont think it is to big a job good luck with that m8...

6. Philpot

Philpot Newbie

Thanks guys for the tips.
    I'm based in Bridgend, S Wales, but travel a lot and need to be in Dartford on Wed. Not aware of any oil/air leaks but only had a 30 min diag done so far.
    Been recommened to Lucas Service in Cardiff but not open till Wed. Diesel experts!
    Used a non Dealer garage for major service recently but almost as expensive!

The filter seems like a good starting point. Have rung a couple of places and Pressure Regs seem in short supply.
    See if I can get at the filter today and have a look.
    Will let you know1