Diesel service intervals

moneypit

Wrench Pro
Car
Mazda MX5 1.8 Sport
The old gal is getting on a bit but it seems service interval is shortening

Octavia 1.9Tdi 04 109k
Apart fro driving like a boat suspension wise engine is a good as its always been but the service light has come on only 8k since last full service!
Not having had a diesel before (from new 2004) I'm not sure if I should expect the service intervals to shorten or not. But the norm for the car is around 2 yearly or around 22k but last two have got closer but 8k????
My mileage has dropped from 14k ish to 8-9k and the light has come on as near as damn it a year. But I'm still driving same inner city and mways so that hasnt changed other than I do not have to do so many miles!

When the service light (well it counts down from 1k miles) is reset by the garage can it be set for annual and/or variable? Which is what my car has.
If so I'll get the garage to reset it again for another 12 months! They were told that its variable but they've had a change of staff and not convinced they are as good! (always suspicious me!)
I need to get another year or so out of her yet as my work takes me to the inner city and I'm not using a new car!

any info would be appreciated thanks

Its set for sensor based variable service intervals. You can change it to fixed intervals and it will just request every 10k or whateever it is for yours.. You need a dealer or vagcom to change the service type BUT you can reset the service light yourself. Did this with my bora and just got it done every 10k. Google 'reset vag service light' or similar to find the method.

You can change the fixed interval on some of the VW cars. I have a cheapish (circa £60) code reader from Gendan which allows me to do this.

Personally I think 10,000-15,000 is enough for even the finest synthetic oils. The other thing I suggest is using proper filters. Mann, UFI and Mahle are all good. Don't bother with Halfords stuff - the quality is not widely reported good

Thanks for info!
I reset it for another year which will equate to 16-17k miles.
Just clear up my octy is variable always has been never a problem, never any duff read outs. And about every 22k looking back thru my invoices!

Obviously the garage reset it for annual, new crew so obviously I need to find where the old crew went lol. I only stopped servicing my cars because 1) I cant be bothered anymore, 2) I have neck and back problems. Do I little here and there on the mx5 and never take a car in unless I know what's wrong. God I still hate garages bloody rip off merchants. And yes they were told it was vasrible!!!!

I dont like to leave my oil changes much longer than 10k in a diesel.

Also check out my thread on here about adding 200 to 300 ml of mineral 2 stroke to your fuel tank on each fill up. MUST be mineral. Been doing it to mine for a while now and getting less smoke on full throttle

Honestly chaps I've never had any smoke black or otherwise in 109k service every 21-22k runs fine never any problems just drive like a petrol, I've never understood why you see 2-3 yr old diesels with black smoke pouring out on acceleration. Lazy driving? Lack of service? I amble to work 8 miles heavy traffic, drive home via mway 80 ish !!! Clean as the day I bought her no emission issues at MOT. Never had to put oil in between services either!
But Skoda might have made me an offer I can't refuse so she might be on her way lol