Diesel Remaps - Your experiences/thoughts!

MSC

Car
Audi A4 1.9 Tdi
Hi All

First post on here.

Have an A4 1.9tdi (05, 115bhp) and thinking of getting it remapped this weekend from a well established place as part of a group discount day. Any thoughts/experiences/tips re remapping? Worth it? Good returns on power and economy? Any bad experiences?

M

You should be pleasantly surprised. A friend of mine with a TDI Golf running from 150 went up to 180 bhp and gets better fuel economy.

The clutch is usually the weak link so expect to need a new clutch soon if it hasn't been done for a while and get a good quality heavy duty one. (A lot depends on how you drive it when its been remapped - if you push it hard then expect to service it more frequently than you used to.

Thanks for the response.

95% of my miles are motorway miles and am getting it remapped as am hoping it will be a more relaxing and economical drive (and will also make overtaking a bit quicker) - I have been told what the max gains are (from stock 115bhp/285nm up to 160bhp/375nm) but advised by the peeps to go to 150-155bhp and 355nm to preserve mechanicals.

Thus, am hoping clutch life should be maintained as will not be consistently booting it from lights etc - am I misinformed? Will it suffer no matter what? What can i do to maintain mechanicals?

Also, should i insist on a diagnostics check? The peeps said they would only do it if rolling road showed significantly less than 115 bhp...

I'd only get a diagnostics if there was a problem like hesitant running or if it were down on power.

Its sensible not to tune it to the absolute max. Clutch life will be reduced but shouldn't really be noticable at those figures.

Got a friend running a Golf 1.9TDi 150BHP stock running happily at 220BHP - Fantastic engines to tune these.

I bet he bores you witless about MPG though? I know my mate with the same engine does! (65 Mpg! :eek:)

They say with great power comes great fuel costs ;) :lol:

I had my 130TDi mapped to 180TDi, a noticable difference...!

Avoid giving it the beans at low revs, try to accelerate at around 2500-3000 is what I was told. Otherwise you will be buying a new cluth relitavely fast.