Diesel Preheater on 04 Freelander TD4

richie1893

Car
Freelander TD4
Hi there. New to the forum. I have a TD4 Freelander. It is fitted with one of those diesel pre-heaters. Is there a way to immobilise it? Looking at current diesel prices I want diesel in my engine not a heater.

Cheers

just take out the fuse for it, or get on the land rover forum to find out how to take it out completelty, if theres no fuse/power supply it wont operate. i have a td4 but without the fbh and been looking at having one fiitted, and it seems simple enough installation, so you should easily be able to take it out yourself.

The quicker it gets up to temp the more efficient the engine is. I doubt there is a much of a gain if any to be had disabling it, especially in the winter.

I'd be curious to know if the fuel savings are better with or without the preheater switched on.

well for comparison, i get around 30-32mpg non motorway driving, with odd blast up hill holding the gears,(too clean to system lol) so if you get the same as that with the fbh or a couple of mpg either side i think it wouldnt be worth disabling it.

I thought it does both in the Landys, my grandfather has one on his farm and was talking about it when we had all that snow.

It heats up the engine coolant, allowing the engine to heat up quickly and the fans to blow hot air into the cabin.

I thought it does both in the Landys, my grandfather has one on his farm and was talking about it when we had all that snow.

It heats up the engine coolant, allowing the engine to heat up quickly and the fans to blow hot air into the cabin.

thats right all the coolant is heated warming the engine block for easier starting and better effieciancy